Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Hi,

I am going to be in France for 6 months and would like to have a travel blog like I did when I went to China last summer. At that time I used Blogger with a friend and that worked pretty well. I have been playing around with iWeb recently and I like the travel theme, I also have .Mac. I would like to create an iWeb site for all of my pictures and would also like to do a video blog (cast or whatever) from my Macbook. While I will usually be in one area of France at my office, I will also travel and would like to be able to update the blog from a cafe, which would only work from a web-based service like blogger. I don't want the 2 sites to get confusing to people, so I would like to connect them, or even have them on the same page. Is this at all possible? How about if I purchase my own domain name? Requiring a person to be at their computer seems a real downfall for the travel blogger with iWeb. Any ideas?

thanks,
M

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Miles Davis said:
Hi,

I am going to be in France for 6 months and would like to have a travel blog like I did when I went to China last summer. At that time I used Blogger with a friend and that worked pretty well. I have been playing around with iWeb recently and I like the travel theme, I also have .Mac. I would like to create an iWeb site for all of my pictures and would also like to do a video blog (cast or whatever) from my Macbook. While I will usually be in one area of France at my office, I will also travel and would like to be able to update the blog from a cafe, which would only work from a web-based service like blogger. I don't want the 2 sites to get confusing to people, so I would like to connect them, or even have them on the same page. Is this at all possible? How about if I purchase my own domain name? Requiring a person to be at their computer seems a real downfall for the travel blogger with iWeb. Any ideas?

thanks,
M

I'm not sure what you mean by having too sites. An iWeb site and a blogger site, or?

You can post videos using iWeb, the problem is that iDisk only allows a certain amount of storage. If you have your MB with you at a cafe, you can upload to iWeb, or do you mean that you'll be uploading from your office computer and then updating on the road with your MB? :confused:

It's easy enough to provide a link to an external site for any video you do.

I have my own domain and webhost and use iWeb and it works fine.

Could you clarify your intentions and concerns?

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
What I mean is, it would be nice to have an iWeb site as my main site, with photos, photocasts, podcasts and the occasional short video clip. As far as blogging goes (and this owuld be the most important part), I find it wat easier to blog from a webbased tool like Blogger (or Live Journal or whatever). That way if I didn't have my MB with me and I was just at an internet cafe, I could still blog.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Miles Davis said:
What I mean is, it would be nice to have an iWeb site as my main site, with photos, photocasts, podcasts and the occasional short video clip. As far as blogging goes (and this owuld be the most important part), I find it wat easier to blog from a webbased tool like Blogger (or Live Journal or whatever). That way if I didn't have my MB with me and I was just at an internet cafe, I could still blog.

Gotcha. It's pretty easy to add a link on your iWeb site pointing to blogger or livejournal. You could even change the menu to read Blog via blogger or something similar. Create a text box on the blog page explaining that your blog is hosted externally with a hpyerlink to blogger.

I've even seen where some blogs allow their owners to post via their cellphones. Random Acts of Reality is one of those. It could save you some money and time.

bobsbarricades

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
I feel I am in the same boat - I would love to be able to create my site in iweb and then have an html snippet or something where my blogger posts would be - it makes updating so much easier

millap

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
United Kingdom
You could use the primitive tools that are built into iWeb. If you open the inspector palette and click on the RSS tab, there is a checkbox for visitors to add comments to a blog.

I believe that this is a new addition with iWeb 2. Version 1 did not allow you to post comments. I only found it by accident whilst googling so was unaware that it had this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.