Need to buy but afraid to order new 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobt, May 27, 2010.

1. bobt macrumors regular

My wife's Mini Mac died the other day. I'm planning on giving her my 3 year old MBP and ordering a new MBP 17".

With the number of people reporting problems with new MBP's freezing, I'm very concerned to order one right now with this being an unresolved problem. After going through the efforts of getting switched over on to a new system, I don't want to have to send it in for repairs or to be swapped out if this ends up being an across the board hardware problem.

Am I being unrealistic to think that Apple may announce some type of fix or solution in the next few days or week?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Usually they issue a fix fairly quickly for things like this. Plus there isn't enough evidence to suggest that this problem is plaguing absolutely every MBP rolling off the assembly line, or even a majority.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Bear in mind that people come to MR to tell about their problems. 99% of buyers are still fine

4. vant macrumors 65816

I haven't noticed enough cases to deem it out of the ordinary.

5. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

I'm seeing it about once a day or less, and it freezes for about 15-20 seconds. Bit of a pain, but I'm sure there will be a firmware update to resolve it :)

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

A lot of people only come here to report their problems. No one comes and says "My MacBook Pro has no problems". If everyone did then you'd notice it would outweigh the problem threads.

7. parajba macrumors 6502

+1

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I wouldn't worry. Consistently the failure rate of macs has been no larger (and sometimes less) than competing brands. The chances remain low that you will run into this problem.

Some are suggesting that the next update to OS X (10.6.4) will include a fix for those having issues. So that could come relatively soon.