Need to buy Macbok Pro before Feb.15th, Should I Wait or Buy on Black Friday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paperbag846, Nov 25, 2009.

1. paperbag846 macrumors newbie

Short and sweet:

Leaving country on feb 20th ish.

My 2006 MBP is starting to fail. Major heat issues, freezing, video ram errors. Need to buy before I leave.

What are the chances the refresh will come our way before February?

If they are low, I think I would rather save myself 100 bucks on friday.

Thanks!

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

If you don't positively need it by then, then wait. I would put the odds of a refresh or bump at 58.7% before the end of Feb.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It will come out in January/February, I would most definitely wait.

4. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I agree with the consensus to wait, one thing to keep in mind. Apple unveiling the new model and shipping the new model are not the same thing.

Everyone expects to see a Arrandale based MacBook Pro in January. To be honest, I think that's an overly optimistic expectation. Further compounding that is my point of not immediately shipping it. Apple has a long history of unveiling new updates but telling us we need to wait 2 weeks up to months to get it

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Agreed. If you NEED to have it by Feb 15th, you're safer buying now. There's no way to be certain the new models will even be announced until mid Feb, or ship before March / April. They still haven't shipped all the iMacs pre-ordered in October.

7. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

That is a god point. Usually its a little wait before shipping the new products.

8. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

splitpea has a good point. If it were me I'd wait until the last possible second. Buying now is not a good idea though.

9. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

How did you get that percentage? theres nothing to work from to even get a percentage you just sound stupid no offence...

10. Puqq macrumors regular

You are 97.25 % right :)

I would personally wait until Feb 10th and decide then. Possible outcomes:
    -No update by then
    -Update and good shipping time
    -Update and bad shipping time. If the speed bump is extreme (unlikely), you try to get the new one even then. If it is not, just get the old model (refurbished or new).

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

I would wait as long as possible, because even if they announce them and they ship late, I think you would still qualify for the policy where if a new one is released within 30 days of purchase you can trade it back in at no cost

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The fact that you commented on something that was said for fun makes you seem a bit silly as well. I'd estimate 61% silly. ;)

13. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Im sure it was said for fun infact im 87.7% sure. :rolleyes:

14. aldo818 macrumors regular

I asked nearly the same question 3 days ago and most ppl told me to wait

15. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I too will be looking to buy a Macbook Pro around Jan-Feb time. What spec's are we expecting (particularly in the base 15" model).

Also, is it likely that the prices will go up when the VAT is increased in the UK back up to 17.5%? I can't remember if they went down when the VAT went down to 15%.

16. zulumonk macrumors member

Macbook Pro Jan Price?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Are there any guesses on how much a new Macbook Pro model would cost in January/March? I'm a little on the fences about waiting, seeing as I could purchase a refurbished 13" Macbook Pro now for around $1000. Any speculations on prices would definitely help me with my decision.

17. paperbag846 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. While I would agree that it makes sence for me to buy later and get all the upgrade benifits...

I WILL be leaving the country by the end of February, moving to a country that i've never lived in before, permanently. In Korea, apple products cost more than in Canada (fact).

It sounds to me like there is not a high probability that the new macbook pro will be IN MY HANDS before i leave. If i chance it, I run the risk of losing about 150 bucks (take advantage of black friday). If i wait even longer and buy in Korea I'll lose ANOTHER 150 (at least). Macs are my love, but they can be expensive enough as it is!

If you can understand my finances, then you might be able to see why waiting is not the best idea. I was very suspicious that this would be the case, because INTEL was unveiling their new processors in Jan... meaning that a while would be needed for Apple to integrate them properly into their line. Plus, there's the manufacturing rush at release.

Comments? It sounds like even among those of you who would wait, that you would agree that I won't be able to get the thing before Feb 29th (LAST DAY POSSIBLE!!!)))

18. hazedragon45 macrumors regular

don't wait. What if Apple only updates in the middle of Feb?

19. fs454 macrumors 65816

Wait. If there are no updates days before you are leaving, buy one. Find a college student to get you the $150 off.

Now is the absolute worst time to buy a MBP in my opinion.

20. bigrock2150 macrumors newbie

If you want the tablet then wait but I doubt apple is doing anything to the Macbook pro(maybe higher the specs a little). But It's probably a good idea to wait anyway because there is always the option of buying a refurb for far more cheaper than Black Friday prices.

21. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Zero chance I'm afraid.

Buy now. Buy big. Buy bad boy.

22. paperbag846 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. But I think it might be a good idea.

Last time ill ask - when Intel releases a new product, how quickly is it typically integrated into the Apple lineup?

23. paperbag846 thread starter macrumors newbie

Final post/.

Black friday savings aren't so great.

Found a way to do university savings.

Going to wait for refresh.

/thread

24. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Is this Tallest Skill in disguise?