Need to buy Macbok Pro before Feb.15th, Should I Wait or Buy on Black Friday?

paperbag846

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
4
0
Short and sweet:

Leaving country on feb 20th ish.

My 2006 MBP is starting to fail. Major heat issues, freezing, video ram errors. Need to buy before I leave.

What are the chances the refresh will come our way before February?

If they are low, I think I would rather save myself 100 bucks on friday.

Thanks!
 

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
2,375
1,474
Surprise
Short and sweet:

Leaving country on feb 20th ish.

My 2006 MBP is starting to fail. Major heat issues, freezing, video ram errors. Need to buy before I leave.

What are the chances the refresh will come our way before February?

If they are low, I think I would rather save myself 100 bucks on friday.

Thanks!
If you don't positively need it by then, then wait. I would put the odds of a refresh or bump at 58.7% before the end of Feb.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
66,387
33,000
Boston
It will come out in January/February, I would most definitely wait.
While I agree with the consensus to wait, one thing to keep in mind. Apple unveiling the new model and shipping the new model are not the same thing.

Everyone expects to see a Arrandale based MacBook Pro in January. To be honest, I think that's an overly optimistic expectation. Further compounding that is my point of not immediately shipping it. Apple has a long history of unveiling new updates but telling us we need to wait 2 weeks up to months to get it
 

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
1,009
241
Among the starlings
While I agree with the consensus to wait, one thing to keep in mind. Apple unveiling the new model and shipping the new model are not the same thing.

Everyone expects to see a Arrandale based MacBook Pro in January. To be honest, I think that's an overly optimistic expectation. Further compounding that is my point of not immediately shipping it. Apple has a long history of unveiling new updates but telling us we need to wait 2 weeks up to months to get it
Agreed. If you NEED to have it by Feb 15th, you're safer buying now. There's no way to be certain the new models will even be announced until mid Feb, or ship before March / April. They still haven't shipped all the iMacs pre-ordered in October.
 

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
177
0
Agreed. If you NEED to have it by Feb 15th, you're safer buying now. There's no way to be certain the new models will even be announced until mid Feb, or ship before March / April. They still haven't shipped all the iMacs pre-ordered in October.
That is a god point. Usually its a little wait before shipping the new products.
 

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
1,064
0
"Town"
splitpea has a good point. If it were me I'd wait until the last possible second. Buying now is not a good idea though.
 

Puqq

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2009
117
0
How did you get that percentage? theres nothing to work from to even get a percentage you just sound stupid no offence...
You are 97.25 % right :)

I would personally wait until Feb 10th and decide then. Possible outcomes:
-No update by then
-Update and good shipping time
-Update and bad shipping time. If the speed bump is extreme (unlikely), you try to get the new one even then. If it is not, just get the old model (refurbished or new).
 

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
5,559
1,945
I would wait as long as possible, because even if they announce them and they ship late, I think you would still qualify for the policy where if a new one is released within 30 days of purchase you can trade it back in at no cost
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The fact that you commented on something that was said for fun makes you seem a bit silly as well. I'd estimate 61% silly. ;)
 

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
952
0
Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The fact that you commented on something that was said for fun makes you seem a bit silly as well. I'd estimate 61% silly. ;)
Im sure it was said for fun infact im 87.7% sure. :rolleyes:
 

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
546
0
UK
I too will be looking to buy a Macbook Pro around Jan-Feb time. What spec's are we expecting (particularly in the base 15" model).

Also, is it likely that the prices will go up when the VAT is increased in the UK back up to 17.5%? I can't remember if they went down when the VAT went down to 15%.
 

zulumonk

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
45
0
Macbook Pro Jan Price?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Are there any guesses on how much a new Macbook Pro model would cost in January/March? I'm a little on the fences about waiting, seeing as I could purchase a refurbished 13" Macbook Pro now for around $1000. Any speculations on prices would definitely help me with my decision.
 

paperbag846

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
4
0
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Are there any guesses on how much a new Macbook Pro model would cost in January/March? I'm a little on the fences about waiting, seeing as I could purchase a refurbished 13" Macbook Pro now for around $1000. Any speculations on prices would definitely help me with my decision.

Thanks for the help guys. While I would agree that it makes sence for me to buy later and get all the upgrade benifits...

I WILL be leaving the country by the end of February, moving to a country that i've never lived in before, permanently. In Korea, apple products cost more than in Canada (fact).

It sounds to me like there is not a high probability that the new macbook pro will be IN MY HANDS before i leave. If i chance it, I run the risk of losing about 150 bucks (take advantage of black friday). If i wait even longer and buy in Korea I'll lose ANOTHER 150 (at least). Macs are my love, but they can be expensive enough as it is!

If you can understand my finances, then you might be able to see why waiting is not the best idea. I was very suspicious that this would be the case, because INTEL was unveiling their new processors in Jan... meaning that a while would be needed for Apple to integrate them properly into their line. Plus, there's the manufacturing rush at release.

Comments? It sounds like even among those of you who would wait, that you would agree that I won't be able to get the thing before Feb 29th (LAST DAY POSSIBLE!!!)))
 

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
1,679
1,198
Los Angeles / Boston
Wait. If there are no updates days before you are leaving, buy one. Find a college student to get you the $150 off.

Now is the absolute worst time to buy a MBP in my opinion.
 

bigrock2150

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
7
0
Vista, CA
If you want the tablet then wait but I doubt apple is doing anything to the Macbook pro(maybe higher the specs a little). But It's probably a good idea to wait anyway because there is always the option of buying a refurb for far more cheaper than Black Friday prices.
 

paperbag846

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
4
0
Zero chance I'm afraid.

Buy now. Buy big. Buy bad boy.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. But I think it might be a good idea.

Last time ill ask - when Intel releases a new product, how quickly is it typically integrated into the Apple lineup?
 

paperbag846

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
4
0
Final post/.

Black friday savings aren't so great.

Found a way to do university savings.

Going to wait for refresh.

/thread
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.