Need to carrier unlock Sprint 4S without updating to iOS 7

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidg4781, Oct 25, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I recently got a replacement Sprint iPhone 4S from Apple. My last one was carrier unlocked. I want to do the same with this one but doing the usual restore through iTunes it's forcing me to upgrade to iOS 7.
    I like iOS 7 but since I'm planning on selling this in the next month or so I'd like to keep it where it is now to help increase the value or demand for it. I'm not sure if this will help, if it absolutely will not please let me know and I'll upgrade.

Is there anyway to do this without upgrading to 7? I tried doing an erase and restore from the phone and that did not work. Anything else I'm missing?

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

This doesn't answer your question, but.. you do know that the unlock for Sprint phones is ONLY for international use and that Sprint will not under ANY circumstances unlock a phone for use on another U.S. carrier, correct?

Just wanted to clear that up in case you weren't aware. Of course, you could still do it and mis-inform a buyer by implying unlocked for other U.S. carriers but that just wouldn't be right. ;)

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I understand. From the quick research I've done it looks like unlocked ones are selling for a bit more than locked ones.

Also, seems like I'm on 6.1.3. I'm assuming this is jailbreakable and I'm not just wasting my time, right?

4. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

The unlocked ones that are selling for a bit more than locked ones are unlocked for other U.S. carriers. Anyone getting more money for an 'Unlocked for International use' Sprint phone is just lucky, and I'd bet real money that the buyers of those are later pretty upset when they realize those phones cannot be used on any carrier other than Sprint.

As for the second question, I think 6.1.3 was only for the iPhone 5 and not jail breakable yet. Don't quote me on that..

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

The few I saw were for Sprint and clearly stated in the auctions they were unlocked for international use only.

And what do you mean by only for iPhone 5?

Attached Files:

6. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I didn't think an unlocked Sprint phone would fetch any more money. I could see it though, thinking about it a bit more. Sprint iPhones' radios cover more bands than the rest from what I've read.

As far as iOS 6.1.3 being iPhone 5 only... I swear I read that on this forum when it came out that it was only for the 5.

Damn, am I just full of fail tonight? :facepalm: lol

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I wouldn't think it would fetch much more either. Maybe just for the person that travels or is moving. And it's not much, not like an extra $100. It's not costing me anything which is why I'm trying to get it done.

8. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Oh I hear you there. Sorry I couldn't answer your original question. I didn't mean to de-rail your thread, either!

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

No problemo!

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, just wanted to update this in case anyone finds this in a search in the future.

I called up Sprint today and was told that my phone is unlocked. After I told her I did not see that in iTunes she said sometimes it won't show up but it is in fact unlocked and I will have no issues whenever I travel to Europe.

I've heard of sites to check if this is true or not and I'll look in to that but for know I think I'm good.