Need to change authorization for iTunes account from old AOL to new Gmail accout.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reubs, Mar 15, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

My wife just got a new Macbook Pro, and she's trying to get her iTunes library situation on there. She's got an iPod with all of her purchased content on it, but it's from an old AOL.com account that she no longer has access to.

Is there a way to reauthorize these old songs from the AOL account to play with a Gmail Apple ID, or is she stuck using the old AOL account?

I'm not at her computer or near her iPod right now, and I don't want to muck around with it only to lose about 75 purchased songs. Any help folks can offer would be great.

Thanks!

2. yukio macrumors regular

what about upgrading them to iTunes plus so that they are DRM-free?

at .30/song you'd be out ~$23 but not have to worry about it again.

3. minlshaw macrumors member

From Apple.com:

If your AOL account has been cancelled or has expired, it will need to be converted to an Apple ID. You can click the Create Apple Account button to do this yourself. Follow the prompts to complete the conversion.

If you're having difficulty converting your account, contact iTunes Store Support. To reach them, go to the iTunes Account and Email Address FAQ and fill out the form at the bottom of the page. If you see a "Contact Us" button instead of a form, click it and then follow these steps:

Fill out the required fields at the top of the page.
    In the Category section, choose "Account or Billing."
    In the Sub-Category section, choose "I can't sign-in with my AOL account."
    Fill in the address fields that appear below and explain your situation in the field at the bottom.
    Click the Send button to send your request to iTunes Store Support.
    An iTunes Store Support Advisors will convert your AOL account and contact you via email.

4. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, everyone. I tried to get around to this this weekend and it looks like she's actually set up multiple accounts and made purchases on multiple accounts. I guess when the AOL account got canceled she just set up a new Gmail one instead of changing her info. So, now she's got songs purchased under at least two accounts, maybe more...

I'll have to figure something out, I guess. Buying the iTunes plus is an option, so we might look into that.

Thanks again.

5. bahbahboobah macrumors newbie

Be careful!

Hey,

A few years ago I changed my account from an old hotmail to a then .mac account. I changed authorisation from the old to the new account, but something went wrong and none of the songs would play! I lost about £40 worth of music (luckily all rubbish). I can't tell you how to avoid this but I would go with the iTunes Plus option for safety.