Need to copy Pics to iPhone 4 DCIM folder...

abercrombie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
One thing I noticed between my iPhone 3G (OS 2.7 I think) and my new iPhone 4G with OS 4.1 is that I can't copy photos back to my iPhone's DCIM folder in Windows. I want to use some of those cool apps to edit photos I've backed up on my computer but I'm finding I can't put them back on my iPhone 4 anymore. :confused:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You're supposed to use iTunes to sync photos back onto the phone. Just like with Music.

With just Windows you only have a simple "sync this folder" option. If you want more features, get Photoshop Elements and use it to organize photos. iTunes works with it and you can have a lot more options. (Similar to how Mac users can use iPhoto to sync their photos.)

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Is it possible to rotate the pics once they're on your computer? I noticed that this feature was disabled unlike when I take pics with a regular camera. It's weird I can't just rotate in "picture viewer" like with any other device seems like I need some fancy software with the iPhone?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Is it possible to rotate the pics once they're on your computer? I noticed that this feature was disabled unlike when I take pics with a regular camera. It's weird I can't just rotate in "picture viewer" like with any other device seems like I need some fancy software with the iPhone?
They're normal JPEGs. I'm not sure what's wrong with your software, do you have any other programs on your computer you can try to test it with?

I just took a photo on my iPhone and put it on my Windows machine. I was able to rotate it with 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.' That's not an ideal tool for working with lots of photos, but it shows that Windows itself doesn't have a problem with the photos.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
It was late and I was in a rush so maybe that was the problem. I'll try it again later thanks.

BenzoKenzo

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
the major problem that comes with syncing from itunes on a pc is the fact that you cannot remove these photos from your phone at any time, you have to just disclude them in the next sync

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.