Need to do a clean restore on my JB iPad but want to keep current version

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by littlegreenyoda, Sep 1, 2010.

1. littlegreenyoda macrumors member

Hi,

I am selling my JB ipad away and i would like to clear everything out including cydia but would like to keep it with the current version.

I JB it using Spirit and have the SHSH blobs uploaded on the server.

Please kindly provide me a step by step guide on restoring it.

Appreciate your advices.

Thank you!

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

3. stark4 macrumors 6502

i also wanna know.. .. so after you follow the above instruction put the ipad in DFU mode and click restore on itunes? It will delete everything from the ipad (including jailbreak files) and put 3.2.1 back on automatically???

Or do i need to download the 3.2.1 somewhere else if my iPad has 3.2.1 already? like OP said to keep the current version.

4. dir macrumors newbie

dir

I've read many instructions for restoring your ipad, but none of them deal with this issue:

When I bought my ipad, it was on 3.2.1. I was lucky. I immediately jailbroke it and Cydia has saved my 3.2.1 SHSH on it's server. It tells me this as well as the SHSH for 3.2.2.

I have modified my hosts file on my PC so that gs.apple.com points to 74.208.10.249. When I ping gs.apple.com, it returns 74.208.10.249, so I know it's right.

I have put my ipad into recovery mode, and the PC detects it as such. ITunes comes up and asks me if I want to recover, I say yes. It then pops up a dialog box saying:

iOS 3.2.2 Software Update for iPad

What?? There's no way I want it to restore my ipad to 3.2.2. I want it to restore to 3.2.1.

I thought that by pointing gs.apple.com at that different address, it would allow me to restore back to the version that I had before (3.2.1).

None of the current instructions explain what to do here - I don't want to proceed and end up with 3.2.2 on my ipad.

What am I missing?

Edit: Solved the problem. Documented here.