Need to do clean wipe of iPhone, but how to restore Apple Watch data?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mazda 3s, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

OK, my iPhone 6 is draining the battery at an alarming rate. I took it to the Apple store and they couldn't diagnose a problem with my battery (got it on launch day), but they swapped out the entire phone anyway. Well, the battery is STILL draining.

Anyway, I want to do a clean wipe of my phone (instead of doing another iTunes restore) and start from scratch, but how can I retain all the data from my Apple Watch? If I unpair my Watch or try to repair it, it will setup it up as a new watch, right? And it will have to restore from a backup that's stored on my iPhone (which wouldn't be there if I wipe it to start from scratch).

So how do I go about saving all of my achievements and data on my watch? Or am I screwed?

2. Ticocg59 macrumors member

I believe you have to do an encrypted back up to retain the activity data.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep it has to be an encrypted backup to save anything in the health data.

I would remove your watch/unpair and then repair it after rebooting both. You will get the opportunity to pick a back-up for your watch when you go through the re-pair thing.

4. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

But how can I select from a backup if I'm trying to install apps from scratch on my iPhone. I won't be using an iPhone backup for restore. For all intents and purposes, the iPhone would be a "new" device to my Apple Watch.

Apple Watch backups are store on the iPhone IIRC, and if I am doing a clean install, there will be nothing to pull from.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

BEFORE you do a restore as new I would unpair your watch from your phone. This makes a backup of your watch on your phone. I would then reboot your phone and re-pair the watch using the backup on your phone. See if that stops your power drain. If not you are right you got a problem. Hoping this will avoid all the trouble.

6. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I already did all that when I got the replacement phone and repaired with my Apple Watch. I restored the Apple Watch from backup.

But I'm still experiencing crazy battery drain on my phone, which is why I want to do a clean wipe.

7. CobraPA macrumors 6502

I don't think you can. The watch backup is stored in the iPhone backup. If you don't restore the iPhone from backup you won't get the watch backup back either.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am betting you are right.

9. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Although you might fix it by doing a clean restore of the iphone (itunes install of current iOS) and then restoring the backup. That would get you back the watch backup as well.

As long as you have a backup of the iphone you can always try either way and get back to where you are now.