Need to find external DVD Drives other than SuperDrives that can be booted?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by timidhermit, Dec 18, 2011.

1. timidhermit macrumors regular

I am trying to find an external DVD drive to replace the Superdrive becuase I need a drive wth a physical eject button.

I need this DVD drive to be recognized by my MacBook Air 2011 model, to which I can boot in order to use an imaging problem on the booting DVD to do partition backups.

The problem is that the imaging software (Paragon) I am using assumes I can eject the disc physically, so that it often does not give any option to "soft" eject the disc.

Can someone give me some recommendations of tested/compatible models of USB Writable DVD Drives? I have read a previous thread on this, but the explanation there was incomplete, and it is mentioned there that HP branded DVD drives may not be compatible.

Help?

2. snowwhite007 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Use the xbox 360 external HD dvd drive works fine and costs around £10 $8

3. snowwhite007 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Use the xbox 360 external HD dvd drive works fine.

4. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting choice... but sadly this is not a drive that I have access to. Also, this drive has been discontinued by Microsoft long ago. :(

5. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I have a Samsung external drive for my old netbook which let me boot from the disc. It has a physical eject button too.