Need to get best signal w/ Apple TV - w/ FIOS

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BlueXIII, Jun 13, 2014.

1. BlueXIII macrumors newbie

Hi Friends,

I have verizon FIOS in my new house. I have our router upstairs on the third floor w/ my desktop, such that my desktop is where I mostly work and it can get good direct wired signal from the router. What this means is that my apple tv all the way in the basement gets an insane amount of drop off in the signal, which drastically reduces quality of streaming.

My FIOS runs in through COAX, not CAT cables, and it has to stay this way for the router to remain in the office. So my question is, what is the best way for me to get signal to my apple tv? Has anyone had any luck with a device that converts coax signal from the wall into an ethernet out port? What about using a repeater - will that signficantly reduce the drop off? I tried running ethernet from the FIOS set top box to the apple tv, but then the apple tv said it wasn't getting any signal from it, so I guess that ethernet port on the STB isn't an out signal?

Thanks everyone!

2. cynics macrumors G4

Do you have to direct wire the computer and not compromise with the router on the in between floor?

Impossible to fish a wire from the upstairs to the basement? This can generally be done by running it on the outside of the house or down return air ducts for the HVAC.

Next would be a repeater but you'll lose wireless bandwidth within your network. However generally that's not a problem and certainly not a problem for an Apple TV at Fios speeds.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

4. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

This just seems gimmicky, but it has good reviews. Has anyone had any luck with these?

5. Legios macrumors regular

Basements are tricky since the house foundation is way tougher to penetrate a wireless signal through. I would try to run a wire either all the way to the basement, or if that proves too hard run it some where closer to the center of your house and run a cat5 cable back up to your desktop. You should be able to move your router anywhere in your house that has a COAX termination. Wireless to your desktop wont be horrible. Not sure why you think it will be.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Actiontec Verizon Coaxial Network Adapter (ECB2200V)

Since you have FIOS I recommend this. My son and I have used them at both houses and they work pretty well. They are running Ethernet over Coax. You split the coax signal for your TV and the Adapter. Out of the Adapter is your Ethernet Port that you can plug in your ATV or a switch for multiple Ethernet devices.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. Repeater on second, middle floor, should give your AppleTV enough bandwidth. Amped SR20000G gets good reviews.

2. What is your main WIFI access point?

3. No experience with Ethernet over power line, but it is a good candidate.

8. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Something like this is exactly what I was looking for, but didn't know if it would work with FIOS. Can you confirm that it does?

9. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

In my post I said my son and I used them in both houses. Maybe I should have said we are both on FIOS. They are designed to work with the Actiontec Router. Made by the same company. You only need 1 per drop since the router has built in support for them. They look like cable boxes to the router.
    Actiontec Verizon Coaxial Network Adapter (ECB2200V)

I was doing some speed tests on my local network and I believe they get around 100MB. They claim higher speeds. if you run GB CAT6 Cable and you have GB Routers you can get > 800MB speeds. But for ATV type stuff the 100MB "WIRED" is plenty. Much better the WIFI.

10. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mike...just want to confirm one more thing...

I can keep my router on the top floor, and just run this Actiontec device you recommended in the basement between the set top box and the wall, and then output a coax from this device to the STB, and ethernet from this device to the ATV...correct?

Really appreciate your help.

11. Mockenrue macrumors 6502

I use a combination powerline adapter/ethernet switch (Netgear XAV1004) with FiOS internet. It works great with all of my streaming devices including Apple TV - stable, consistent 1080p streaming with no issue provided that the stream itself is good. Just don't go for the lowest price. I had mixed results with a lesser quality powerline adapter.

12. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Right. The Adapter looks like a STB for getting an IPADDRESS. You split the cable from the wall (adapter ships with a splitter and cable I believe) where one goes into the STB and one goes to the Adapter. Then the ethernet cable goes to the ATV or a switch. Also, my son connected a Linksys WiFi router (setup as an access point) to his so he could get WiFi upstairs. You may want to consider that as well if you need WiFi in your basement.

13. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Just ordered the actiontec solution per Mike's specs.

Thanks again!

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Did you get the same model I got? The ECB2200. Because the 2500 may be a new model. You may want to read about it. It may not require a splitter.

Actiontec Electronics ECB2500C Ethernet to Coax MoCA Adapter

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Not a gimmick at all - the basic technology has been available commercially for nearly 20 years now. Works great - unless your house has completely isolated power between the floors. (My basement does have a completely isolated power circuit for part of the basement, so these don't work for that one electrical circuit, but it works between every other circuit in the house. It just means that I have to plug in the power brick in a different room in the basement, and run CAT-5 to the room I wanted it in.)