Need to get my calendar at work, company won't support iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by djrobsd, Jul 18, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Ok, I have a huge predicament that i need to figure out how to solve. My company will not support ActiveSync, but my friend has a consulting firm and he set me up with an ActiveSync account on his server, which works great with my iPhone.

Unfortunately, I don't know the best way to sync my calendar at work, since my Outlook at work is connected to my company's Exchange server, and Outlook/Windows XP will only let you have ONE Exchange account setup!

What are my options? I want to get my push email on the iPhone from my friend's Activesync, my Yahoo email, and also be able to get the calendar from my work computer.

What if I get MobileME? Will it pull all my Exchange calendar entries and sync them with my MobileME? What other options do I have? I'd hate to have to manually plug the iphone in and sync, but if that's the only option then I guess I can do that too.

My goals are:

-Have all my calendars on my iphone (personal from the activesync mail account, and work from my outlook)
    -Push email from my activesync account on my friend's server, and my yahoo mail. Would also be nice to get work email, but that may not be feasable since my company doesn't support ActiveSync (only blackberry)

As a sidenote:

-When I turned on ActiveSync on my iphone and told it to sync contacts, it downloaded all the contacts from the exchange server, and it erased all my contacts I had already entered into the iphone. :(

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Can you access your corporate e-mail through a web browser (usually http://mail.companywebsite.com)? If so, then you can connect your iPhone to your email (even if the IT department doesn't think so). You could also try using the Office Online Service to publish your calendar then view it through Safari. Or send the calendar via e-mail to yourself.

Currently, the iPhone only supports contacts or calendars from one source, so it has to be "Exchange or AddressBook" for contacts and "Exchange or iCal" for Calendar.

TEG

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can go to a web VPN client we have, and login there, it works great on the iPhone. From there I can use Outlook web access, but it's very clunky.

So, if I understand correctly, I can turn off Exchange for my calendar, and sync my calendar with iTunes, and that's pretty much the only option?

4. matthiasgoodman macrumors member

matthiasgoodman

You can sync calendar from more than one online over the air source but you can not sync to both a desktop calendar and a MobileMe or Exchange calendar. If you can install MobileMe to a Windows PC that has Outlooked synched with your Exchange server you can use the MobileMe connector to get the data to your phone.

I wrote this on my phone so if it doesn't make sense let me know.

5. peteo macrumors regular

6. masq81 macrumors newbie

how do you the above? and doesnt it push directly to your iphone?

7. dbeach71 macrumors newbie

Solution to Corp Calendar and IPHONE

http://www.macworld.com/article/1143365/tip_calendars.html

There is, however, another solution: you can subscribe to a calendar directly from your iPhone.

Apple mentioned this feature only in passing when it surfaced in iPhone OS 3.0. The trick is that it’s shelved deep under the confusing hierarchy of Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendar -> Add Account -> Other. You’ll see two Calendar options there: Add CalDAV Account and Add Subscribed Calendar. The former lets you add an account for an online service that uses the CalDAV standard, such as Google Calendar. The second is the feature we’re looking for, which lets you subscribe to a single online calendar published in the .ics format.

You’ll need to enter the URL of the calendar you wish to subscribe to (copy-and-paste is your best friend here); once you’ve done that, the calendar will show up in your iPhone’s Calendar app. (You may need to tap on the Calendars button in the top left hand corner in order to find it, though).

There’s one exception to this, as well, and that’s the special “Birthdays” calendar that you can turn on in iCal and the MobileMe Web interface. Technically, it’s displayed as a Subscribed calendar, but iCal automatically generates it by pulling dates from your Address Book records. Even if you turn it on in both iCal and MobileMe’s Web calendar, you still won’t be able to see it on your iPhone. For that, try this tip: enable the Birthday calendar in iCal, then publish it to MobileMe or your own WebDAV server. Then you can subscribe to it on your iPhone using the tip above.

And that’s our first iPhone tip. Expect to see more in the weeks to come. If you’ve got a particularly good tip you’d like to share, feel free to e-mail us at iphone@macworld.com with the subject line iPhone Hint.