Need to know if LG UM67 34" wide monitor will work with a Retina MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by georginamac, Feb 18, 2016.

1. georginamac macrumors newbie

georginamac

I know that a cable is needed...don't know which one....and would love to get some advice. Has anyone connected an LG wide screen monitor to the Retina MacBook and does the wide screen work as designed?

Second question, is which Mac cable is needed to work with the USB-C on the MacBook?

2. sakabaro macrumors regular

I am using U3415W with a rMB, full 3440x1440 @ 60 hz via hdmi and the Apple USB-C hub. So, it should be the same thing with the LG. Pay attention to use a good hdmi cable though, got trouble when using cheap ones, but works fine with the Apple TV one.

3. georginamac thread starter macrumors newbie

georginamac

Yes, it will work. I just bought the LG 34" monitor and hooked it up to my 12" retina MacBook. I downloaded the drivers and attached the cable and it works fine. The cable you need is the USB-C HDMI cable---I bought the Apple one.

4. chakdey macrumors regular

How do you like monitor? Is it almost as clear as the retina display?

5. georginamac thread starter macrumors newbie

georginamac

It's not as clear and crisp as the retina display, but the large size is nice!!

6. FilmIndustryGuy macrumors member

i use the Dell 34 curved with the 12 inch mac. Its not as nice as the mac screen but its good enough. I'm a nut over letter resolution and was going to go with the 5k iMac as a big screen but went for the 34 inch curved because the 34 inch screen is wider but shorter so its usable for multi window/document usage. you don't have to look up and down on the 34 inch unlike the iMac screen. Would love to have a 5k or higher screen thats a 34 inch untrawide. that would be the ideal screen for productivity. Get the Apple HDMI/USB adapter. its dorky but it will work well with the monitor. i wouldn't get the weird brand adapters because they may not output full resolution and who knows how they will last. I went with this setup and dumped the 15 inch macbook pro.