Need to make a decision: 16GB iPhone 3GS vs 32GB 4th gen Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. maus macrumors regular

I normally wouldn't ask this, but as I need to decide quickly, I thought I'd solicit some advice.

I'm currently on an AWS carrier, but am considering switching to one that runs on GSM later in the year (and picking up an iPhone 5). My iPod classic also died recently so I've been forced to use my Blackberry as a music player, which it's really not equipped to do with any elegance.

I'm trying to decide between a $200 32GB 4th gen iPod Touch and a $175 16GB iPhone 3GS. Both are used, though I'm not sure for how long. Which is the better deal? Pros? Cons?

2. iFiend macrumors 65816

The quick and dirty:

iPod touch: "retina" display, more RAM (so running iOS5 better), still have to use your BB as a phone in addition to having the iPod with you when you need both.

3gs: you can get rid of that bunk BB :)

Honestly? I'd probably go with the 3gs. It'll get you used to having an iPhone, and it will then blow your top when you upgrade to the 5.

Edit: They have the same 256MB RAM. All the more reason to go with the 3gs, IMO.

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Do you need a phone? That's really the only thing you have to consider. If you plan on buying the next release of the iPhone anyway I would go with the iPod and sell it when you get the phone. Unless of course you need a phone now.

In all honesty you're the only one who can make this decision as only you know your needs best.

4. maus thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I was pretty determined to switch carriers a few days ago because my current one isn't giving me reliable service, so I was looking only at iPhones 3GS/4. Then I got talked into giving my carrier another shot, so I started looking at iPods. I haven't decided if I'm going dump my current carrier before the iPhone 5 comes out, so I might just end up using the 3GS as an iPod. :/

A concern of mine is that the 3GS I'm considering is running iOS4 and is jailbroken and unlocked. Will it lock back onto its original network if I upgrade to iOS5?

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

There are steps you can take to preserving your unlock. Do a quick Google search or search this forum.

6. maus thread starter macrumors regular

This is great to know, thanks! Jailbreaking and unlocking has always really confused me. :)

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Check out the iPhone Hacks section under this forum and I am quite sure that you will find plenty of threads that will point you in the right direction.

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

PM me if you have any questions :D

9. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Go with the phone now. When you upgrade to the 5 and you're still committed to gsm you'll has a backup phone or you can resell it.

10. maus thread starter macrumors regular

Great advice, thanks guys! Um, sorry, I've got another question. If I decide to use the 3GS as an iPod, will I run into any issues? I'm seeing in certain threads that I need a sim card to activate the phone in iTunes. Is this still necessary if the phone is jailbroken and unlocked?

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you are happy with the blackberry as a phone, I personally see no reason to get rid of it just yet. It sounds like you are wanting a media player, so the touch is going to be a better value here (you will enjoy games, videos, etc more and have more space). Then, when the next gen iPhone launches just grab that.

----------

Yes it is, but all you need is an old (deactivated) sim. You can use one of your old ones or buy one on eBay for a couple bucks. I am sure "hacktivation" is still possible too, which is basically a software bypass of the activation screen done much like you would jailbreak.

12. maus thread starter macrumors regular

I'm actually not at all happy with my Blackberry, though I don't know if it's the service or the phone itself. Service is unreliable and data is very slow. I'm still waffling with regards to canceling my account, but on the chance that I do, it'll be nice to have a GSM phone ready.

Also, great news re the sim card issue. I know I've got a few old ones lying around. :)

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So long as they are ATT (or whatever carrier the 3GS is locked to) you should be just fine. :)

14. maus thread starter macrumors regular

Got lucky. Turns out the original carrier is also my old carrier. Thanks for your help! :D