Need to make a short film, trying to get ideas for specific genre, any advice?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sportsfrk214, Jan 30, 2009.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I need to make a short film for a film class I'm taking. I'm into film and therefore don't think the technical aspects are a problem, it's the story. It needs to run between 5-10 minutes.

I want to do something suspenseful. I want the film to start suddenly, almost like there was an exciting event going on, such as someone being chased through the woods, and the film is picking it up in the middle as it's happening. I'm looking for something to grip the audience, something that'll get their heart racing, and of course have a good ending that leaves them racing even though its over. I also want them to be confused as to what's going on, and at the end, never know exactly what happened, so they're left thinking about it.

So I know exactly what kind of film I want to make, I just can't seem to come up with a story to fit it. A suspenseful thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. If anyone has any ideas at all, I would really appreciate hearing them, because anything you say could trigger something in my brain. Thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Suspense and drama don't lend themselves well to short form work, IMO, because you have no time to build suspense or build a relationship between the characters and the audience so that the audience actually cares what happens to the characters. Comedy, action and VFX 'showcase' pieces are better suited for short films because they are easier to get into and out of quickly.

Lethal

3. redshft macrumors member

+1

Unless you wanted to create a series and have it "to be continued".

Try checking out dvxuser.com, their are quite a few short film producers over there that could help you out.

4. izzyorion macrumors newbie

izzyorion

i had an idea a while back to make something similar to your framework - i'm prob not gonna have time to make it so i'll give my idea to you if you wish!

Basically, set in a dilapidated warehouse a young man (18-20) falls over a lead pipe and hits his head on the floor - it begins to bleed - he gets up and carries on running.

We see another man (dressed in a suit) comes into frame - (30-40) - he sees the lead pipe and blood on the floor, then begins chasing the young man.

A Lady (also in a suit) watches from an overhead balcony, as the young man runs away from the older man he heads upstairs. He suddenly stops and turns around as he sees the lady. He is trapped from both sides of the balcony by the man and the lady - he jumps off the balcony onto some cardboard boxes to escape. The man and lady give chase.

The chasing goes on for a few minutes - with the young lad narrowly escaping each time.

Eventually the young lad is cornered and caught by the older man - as the lady watches. The older man places his hand on the young mans shoulder and says "TAG"

The young man and the lady give chase to the old man.

hope it helps / triggers something!

5. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

First of all, allow me to apologize for not responding, to be completely honest I forgot I posted this question on here.

Second, thank you for the advice so far. I'm still formulating an idea, and I'm back here to share what I have and to ask for help on how to continue.

I was picturing a scene with a man walking alone on a street at night, when suddenly a black car slowly pulls up behind him. The car stops, the door opens, and someone from inside instructs the man to get in. They take him to an old building, lead him inside, into a room where there is a man sitting in a chair smoking a cigarette. The audience is supposed to get the impression that the man smoking is someone of power, but not legal power (aka you would think he's a crime boss or something like that).

Ok so that's what I have. Obviously, I'm struggling to elaborate on what exactly happens after that. I wanted to go in the direction of them having some kind of serious talk about something, but there is a twist at the end and it turns out to be a cool/funny talk. Basically, it would be similar to the idea posted above of the chase that is actually a game of tag. It seems like something else until the very end.

So anyone who has any ideas on how I can elaborate my story would be greatly appreciated. And I will reply quicker this time lol :rolleyes:

6. HDhead macrumors newbie

If you are thinking about sending the film to festivals, light subject matter and comedy work the best for the audiences.