Need to Port Number Out, and get new phone line or upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nostresshere, Sep 9, 2012.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Okay, here is my situation. This phone is out of contract, current iphone 3G with unlimited data.

We have moved so I want a new number/area code. I want to keep my old number for forwarding, etc. I also expect to get the new iphone if it is what we think it is.

If I port the old number to google voice, then that number will still work for all the people that I forget to give my new number to. But, when I port it out, it basically cancels that number within our family account. Since it is out of contract, no issue there.

We then will just get the new iphone and ADD a new line to our family account. This will also give us a new number in our current area code. In the process we no longer have unlimited data, but that is not a problem.

Currently, I think pricing is the same for upgrades vs adding a line. Yes?

Am I missing something here.

2. nostresshere thread starter macrumors 68030

Bottom line, based on past pricing, will an upgrade cost me the same as adding a new line?

3. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

Are you on AT&T? I assume so since youre' using a 3G. Where did you move from/to? You may not be able to add a new number with the new area code depending on the answer to the previous question.

And yes, the new line/upgrade price is the same.

4. nostresshere thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, we are on ATT.

We can get the new area code, no problem. Family plan already has phones with both old and new area code on it.