Need to reinstall OS X, but no room on HD due to Linux.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tbk, Jun 18, 2011.

1. tbk macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    Well, I'm in quite the predicament. I was in the process of installing Fedora Linux to dual boot with OS X, when I clicked on the wrong thing, and managed to wipe my hard drive of everything except Fedora (which I am currently using now). I need to reinstall OS X from Time Machine, as ALL of my files are are on OS X. I'm not incredibly tech savvy, so I have no idea how to reinstall OS X because Fedora is taking up all of the space on the HD. I've been in disk utility, and tried to mess around with a few things, but nothing would let me edit the amount of space that fedora is taking up. Is there a way that I can limit it to less that 20 GB, so that I can use the rest to reinstall OS X? I have my install disk and external hard drive, so one there is enough room on the drive to install, I will be in the clear.

Thanks so much!!!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You will have to format the internal drive, to create two partitions again.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

** Procedure below will remove your Fedora install. If you have anything you want to keep, back it up first **

[1] Boot into your Snow Leopard CD.

[2] From the utilities menu, use disk utility to format the drive into one partition. Or two if you really want Fedora again.

[2] From the utilities menu, choose "Restore system from Backup"

[3] Follow the on screen instructions to restore Mac OS X. Depending on the amount of data you had it may take a few hours.

If you are not incredibly tech savvy then don't mess around with Desktop Linux. It doesn't do anything that Windows and the Mac can't. That will upset some people but I've been there and couldn't find out what question it was trying to answer either.

4. rien333 macrumors regular

If you want to become (a bit more) tech savvy I actually recommend messing around with Linux. However, like elppa said, there are no further reasons to install a Linux distro.