Need to replace an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by From A Buick 8, Jul 16, 2013.

1. From A Buick 8, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I need to replace my daughters iPhone 4. The phone was in a backpack when a bottle of sunscreen exploded and now the screen is damaged. I guess it looks alot like water damage. I have been looking on Ebay, just wondering what everyone thought was a good price to pay for a 4.

I thought about getting her a 4s, but those are still kind of pricey.

Attached Files:

2. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Ever thought about getting an iPhone 5 on contract?

3. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

She only signed up with verizon a year ago. When she signed up she got received a very low entry model "smart" phone (samsung brightside). I later gave her my old iPhone 4.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

5. cynics macrumors G4

Take it too Apple, they will replace it at a discounted rate. Can't remember but it would be 100-150, which is normally 450 if you were to buy it new. You might be able to find something on eBay, won't be new/refurb condition at that cost though.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

It'll be $149 to get it replaced at an Apple store.

7. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thanks to everyone for the quick response. I checked the fmailys plan on the Verizon website and it turns out that they qualify for an upgrade on 8/21/13.

I am not sure why, because like i said they signed up last year (8/20/12), but i am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. My daughter will just have to hold out for a month or so. Then she can get a 4S for $100

8. Charadis macrumors 6502a

So lucky. For the time being, she could probably get the screen repaired for relatively cheap if you, or someone you know, want to do the repair. I've swapped screens on a 4 and 4s before without any prior experience on those handsets, and it really just takes a lot of time. Sent from my iPad.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

New screens are like $65 from icracked.com and can be replaced by yourself in an hour.

10. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What happened was an aerosol can of sun screen exploded in a backpack while the phone was in there. The screen is not cracked but it looks like somehow the sunscreen got underneath the screen.

The phone still works ok, so I think she is going to try and just use it as it for a month and then get her new one.

I think I will try and fix it after she gets her new one, I am sometimes clumsy when it comes to that stuff, so I do not want to try until she has her replacement.

11. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Well duh. I know it isn't cracked. But obviously the screen or more likely the digitizer is shot. You will need to replace both as they are a glued unit. This was why I offered the new screen replacement since it's probably what you will need.

12. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Not true
    If it was sunscreen explosion then there's probably damage to the insides that are affecting more than just the screen. Water damage or liquid damage is a tricky thing and there isn't any guarantee that swapping the screen would be a solution in this case.

I personally wouldn't waste the money trying to fix it yourself if you don't know what you're doing even if it was just the screen. I have way too many people come into my shop every day saying they started trying to repair the phone themselves and it just ended up worse and they are out the cost of the part they paid for and now have to pay for a repair to get done.

13. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Instead of getting her a 4s that will be outdated sooner, maybe wait for 5s to come out and get her a iPhone 5 which will be 100 dollars with upgrade?

14. aneftp macrumors 601

U can get iPhone 5 on contract for $129 at Walmart. iPhone 5 will be $99 in September.

Don't pay $99 on contract for 4S. The discounted iPhone 5 on contract is way to go for $129 now.
    http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Apple-iPhone-5-for-Verizon-AT-T-and-Sprint-Prices-Based-on-Eligible-Upgrade-or-New-2-Year-Contract/14675762?adid=1500000000000012981640&veh=mweb

Best buy will also match Walmart prices.

15. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

For some reason she does not want a 5, i called verizon and they moved her upgrade up a month so went ahead and got her a 4S. She was very happy with the 4 so she will be even more so with the 4s.

There are 3 phones on that acocunt, and the other two are also due for upgrade. So this means that i might be able to get my greedy hands on the 5S when it ships.

I have a 5 now so i would use one of their upgrades to get me a 5s and pass my 5 down to the wife or my son. My 5 is still on my old verizon unlimited plan so i will have to do some switching around after the 5s arrives.