Need to save texts, contacts, calendar, other settings for a restore as new phone.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JMC08, Mar 22, 2012.

1. JMC08 macrumors regular

I'll need to restore my phone to factory settings because my backup is corrupt and my music isn't syncing.

I remember there was a great program I used about a year or so ago that had a pretty smooth UI for saving the SMS/contacts/etc db files on Windows and then transferring them back onto the phone. It was a program that required a jailbreak and I'm sure it was one of the most popular programs...something like iTransfer or something.

Anyone know what the program I am referring to could be?

2. akkkmed macrumors 6502

You can back it up using iTunes. When you plug in your iPhone, right-click on the iPhone in the source list. Then click backup. It'll back up everything besides media.

3. EngageWithRage, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

4. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

He wants to restore his phone and set up as new. What you're suggesting is restoring from backup.

5. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

PkgBackup can do this, and much more. It costs 7$ but it is worth it in my opinion (and in case of trouble the author will actually respond to your emails).

6. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

I should add that other jb backup programs have appeared since i bought PkgBackup, and may be equally good at a lower price

7. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

+1

This app has gotten me outta a few jams, and just keeps getting better.

8. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

Can I use iBye to get all of my important data back after a fresh restore as new?

I'd get iBye, backup Messages, Contacts, and Calendar. I'd then restore my phone (on 5.0.1...haven't installed 5.1) and set as new phone, then jailbreak, install iBye, and restore those three things.

Would I have all my texts and contacts back as if I had never restored as a brand new phone?

Thanks all.

----------

Actually, I have Pkg Backup, but I didn't realize it could backup iphone apps as well. Could I follow the same steps as above with Pkg Backup as well?

9. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Maybe I missed something, but why would you restore as a new iPhone if you want all of that back?

11. JMC08 thread starter macrumors regular

Because theres a bug in my backup that is causing my music to not be able to sync.

If I have 5.0.1 can I just jailbreak with Absinthe 0.4 without worry?