need to upgrade to IOS6??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gregg10, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Gregg10 macrumors newbie

I want to use a backup to restore my new Iphone 5, will I need to download the new IOS6 to my current iphone 4 and back it up or can I just use the backup from the iphone 4 with the current IOS 5.1.1?
    I hope this makes sense, it was easier to understand in my head than to type it out!

2. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

you can use the backup off the 4

3. Swerthy macrumors member

Most likely have to update to iOS6 as that's the firmware that is preloaded onto the iPhone 5's

Don't take my word on it though... I may be wrong. But this has just been my experience in the past.

4. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Incorrect a backup will work just fine if its going on its current firmware or later. People run into problems when they try to restore from Say 5.1 to 5.0 ...it wont let you restore backwards

5. morecowbell, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012

morecowbell macrumors member

I actually met a guy at a Club last week who works at the genius bar. We hung out all night and I asked tons of questions...this was one of them. You do NOT need to upgrade to ios6 to restore to the new phone. It will work just fine going from any ios version to ios6.

I wish I was still in contact with the guy because I have tons of new questions. Can't wait for my new phone!!!