Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
Was curious whether virus protection is needed for OSX?

I do not use entourage/outlook

If so, what types of viruses are targeted at :
Mac OSX
It's Unix underpinnings

and what virus protection sw you would reccomend -

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
personally i've never had a virus problem on any mac...

that said, i'd still probably recommend it just in case....

no specific software recommendations from me...

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
if you're paranoid get Norton and run it once a month...maybe once a week if you have heavy internet activity. otherwise you'll probably be ok w/out anything

Macrazy

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2002
Oro Valley, AZ
No worry!

Most percent virus spread to PC not Mac. If you get any email with attachment files from unknow or you know. If you noticed file has been attached with file name at the end of file such as .mim or .exe or anything, of course will not work on mac but I simple trashed it. Unless you are aware that your friend will send you any files. That will be fine too. Best ways to get files from your friend by using AIM or FTP.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I've never gotten a virus on my computers..to be more specific, not one that runs on Mac..I've only got stupid windows ones so I doubt there's any real danger out there...however, I could always be wrong...but I can't be stuffed getting and AntiVirus program..

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
This is starting to sound like a broken record.... :rolleyes:

I've yet to have a problem with virii in macs. Been using macs for about 15 years, and never bothered with anti-virus. I'm thinking of doing so now though, as it seems like we're getting more converts. Virus writers go for maximum impact, and with more people using macs, we could start to become a target. Norton will most likely do the job for you.

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have been uploaded a virus to my mac during Gameplay on BattleNet(Blizzard using Starcraft)

I suggest you get a firewall, thats all you really need.

The virii i was uploaded was called the 'Doom Virus" and the little bugger wiped every driver off my comp, needless to say it was a bitch to recover and has made me paraniod since. I now run MacAnalysis on my machine, and carry a copy of Norton anti virii on me harddrive, just in case.:D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Get the latest version of NAV for your system. If you want to be able to run utilities then get either NSW2, Drive10, TechToolPro and/or DiskWarrior. Some of those run under OS 9.x and some under OS X natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.