Need your advice: Do I need to unjailbreak my iPhone to get it replaced it by Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Numl0ck, May 2, 2009.

1. Numl0ck macrumors member

Hello guys,

I've got an jailbroken iPhone 3G here, the comm board of which is broken (IMEI + ICCID: Unknown), and that needs to be replaced. I thought that I could just restore to a fresh FW and thus get rid of the jailbreak...but unfortunately iTunes doesn't let me to restore to any FW (Error 1012, for which according to my research there's no solution and it's due to the damaged Comm Board). Now, I'm afraid that because of the jailbreak I might have voided the warranty and can't demand a replacement.

Will Apple care about that?
    What would you suggest?

Thanks!

PS: I have no access to the springboard but can still SSH the phone though!

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

SSH into it, and delete the apps off that folder. I'm not sure which folder it is, but you'll find it. It has all the ".app" files in it. After deleting all that, just bring it in to Apple, and you should get it replaced nicely.
    Good luck!

3. Numl0ck thread starter macrumors member

Is it all I have to do? I think there's alot more to a jailbreak than just the /Applications folder.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    There is. You should try putting into DFU mode and do a restore in iTunes, and see if that works. Or trying to put it into Recovery Mode + restore. Hopefully one of those lets you perform a successful restore.

5. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Oh, there is.
    There's too many new directories that are created from being jailbroken to delete them all. But, you could try.
    Try deleting all .dylibs in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/
    All non-stock apps in /Applications/
    Go through /Library/ and delete anything that looks like it was created via jailbreak.

Go through /var/mobile/Library/ and delete all directories that are not official.

There's a lot more, and deleting these manually might crash the phone, but it's worth a shot. Just look for anything that seems to be non-stock on the phone and delete it.

6. Numl0ck thread starter macrumors member

I tried both with different FWs but always get the 1012 Error :confused:

Thanks for your help! But how do I know in fact what looks "non-stock" ?

Does anyone know of a case where Appe refused to replace a device because of a previous jailbreak?

7. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking does void your warranty. It sounds to me like the key will be whether Apple can tell you did.

8. Numl0ck thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'll delete some jailbreak related folders as suggested and then we'll see.
    I'll let you know about the outcome.

Thanks for the answers.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

In my opinion, you are crazy if you don't do a restore within iTunes with a factory default firmware. But you should at the very least turn off winterboard and remove any non official apps so it looks normal. I doubt they'd check for directories before exchanging the phone and sending you home.

10. Numl0ck thread starter macrumors member

Did you read my posting?

1. I CAN'T restore with iTunes
    2. I've never had Winterboard + I have no access to the springboard

11. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Have you tried the restore in DFU mode or just plugging it into machine and selecting restore?

EDIT: Looks like you did. Doh. :) I htink if you remove as much as possible, you should be ok. :)

12. foob macrumors 6502

foob

You could entirely wipe the drive. Tell them you didn't want your personal info showing up later.

Or download iFile and browse through the system. You can view the date of the files and delete everything you can find that is newer than your jailbreak.

My friend has a jailbroken phone that Apple is going to replace by mail. They sent his new phone and when he gets it, he is sending his old one back. He's going to restore it first but my point is that it may be better if you can do the replacement business by phone/mail. What can they really do after they've already given you a new phone?

13. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

They charge you for it. Before sending out the new phone, they ask you for your credit card, and if they find the warranty on the old phone is voided, they charge you the price for the phone 400 for 8 gigabytes, 500 for 16 gigabytes.

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian