Need your help choosing an SSD drive for my 15" mid 2009 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Punker, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Punker macrumors member

Hello people!

I have read multiple thread with information that contradicts itself and i dont know what to think anymore. I need some guidance

I have a 2.8Ghz, 15", mid-2009 macbook pro and i want to get an internal SSD drive.

I used to have a beachball issue back in the days until they release the performance patch. Those days were hell and i want to make sure, there is no way im gonna go back to that.

So i looked at those drives, and the reviews are all too old or irrelevant in my situation. So basically, i would like to know if someone with my setup had any of those drives in their laptop and let me know how it rolls.

I think i dont need a SATA3 since SATA2 is the maximum speed the controller can provide. Fair enough.

Will trimming be supported with those drive in OSX LION ?

1. Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G310 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167052 (120Gb)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167054 (160Gb)

2. OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX160G 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227686

3. Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BN/128GB 2.5" Notebook Bundle 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139137

So here i am. Which one would you recommend that will suopport TRIM in Lion and not give me beachball. Thanks for your help!

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

3. Punker thread starter macrumors member

Do I need a 2.5" or 3.5" drive ?

Im not sure

thanks again!

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

2.5"! 3.5" drives are for desktops!

5. MrJolly, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

I have just installed an SSD into my late 2009 MBP 5.3. The machine shipped within days of it being released and I went for the 500GB HD upgrade. I have installed each and every update provided by Apple and worked my way from 10.5.7 to 10.6.8 before the hard drive failed a couple of weeks ago. I replaced it with a 500GB WD unit and found the performance to be slower than the dead Hitachi Apple unit. That was then quickly swapped out with a Seagate Momentus XT which was surprisingly quick however the drive span constantly and resulted in my battery being reduced from 7 hours to a desperate 3.

This called for SSD and I went with a Crucial M4 256GB. I downgraded the EFI to 1.6, upgraded the SSD to v2 firmware and performed a complete fresh install from 10.5.7, to Snow Leopard and then to 10.6.8. I am amazed by the performance, when booting, the Apple logo appears and then the spinning gear appears for less than one complete turn before the desktop is loaded. I am very pleased with the speed and the battery which is showing 98% health after 152 cycles & gives me 6.5 hours.

6. Punker thread starter macrumors member

Why the downgrade ? (EFI 1.6)
    I thought this was impossible to accomplish... i tried to find a store where they would do it for me a year ago when i had the beachball all the time and they said they couldnt.

Why did you do it ?
    How did you do it ?

thanks!

7. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I second this!

8. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

The stock drive was a SATA1 Hitachi and even with EFI1.7 the drive would only negotiate at 1.5Gbps as that was all it knew about. It was when i had the WD drive installed that I noticed an odd beachball for 1 or 2 seconds every now and then, it was typically when browsing in Safari. I figured Apple released this machine with SATA1 speed for a specific reason so decided to return the machine to factory state before upgrading the drive to SSD. I got an ISO from a friend who works closely with Macs. Burnt it, booted my Mac from the CD and 5 minutes later I was back to EFI 1.6 and 1.5Gbps speed.

I'll run xBench if people are interested in the results.

9. Punker thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone confirm this with a link ? Cant seem to find official info about this.

So, 1.7 wouldnt take full advantage of SATA2, but 1.6 would.

10. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly