Need Your Help...Please my already broken iPhone 4 dropped in water

pickmeup212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Hey guys,

I just bought an iPhone 4 a little over a month ago, and within the past month my home button stopped working. I have an extended warranty until next year in April, so I decided to schedule an appointment to take it to Apple, because the same problem happened to my brother and they replaced it.

My appointment is tomorrow night, and I made it last week. This weekend I went to Nantucket and my phone got water damaged and, of course, no longer works.

Seeing as I was going to get my iPhone replaced anyway....do I have any chance of getting them to replace it even though now it's water damaged?

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
You might have to pay for the replacement since it is water damage and not hardware malfunction.

Comment

pickmeup212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
You might have to pay for the replacement since it is water damage and not hardware malfunction.
But it already had a hardware malfunction, and I made an appointment planning to replace it before the water damage even happened.

Comment

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Apple has no way of knowing when the water damaged occurred
Unfortunately, the liquid sensors don't time stamp
Technically, if the iPhone had a defect verifiably unrelated to water that would warrant replacement, it wouldn't matter when the water damage occurred. I doubt if Apple will see it that way, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Comment

pickmeup212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Thank you, MacDawg and Roller...I hope it turns out that way.

----------

would i might be able to qualify for Out-of-Warranty service?

I read this on the Apple site: "However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service."

...i would be MUCH more willing to pay a hundred and something dollars than the ridiculous 545 replacement.

Comment

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
New Mexico
but how is that fair if i was going to get it replaced anyway?
Fair? You broke your phone.. Should have been more careful. I understand initially it was a hardware issue, but your negligence has now turned it into user damage via water. It's still fair that they will make you pay for a replacement due to water damage. Not fair is them charging out for a hardware failure within your warranty time frame.

----------

Technically, if the iPhone had a defect verifiably unrelated to water that would warrant replacement, it wouldn't matter when the water damage occurred. I doubt if Apple will see it that way, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
Then they should fix his button and give him back a water damaged phone.. Lol

Comment

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Thank you, MacDawg and Roller...I hope it turns out that way.

----------

would i might be able to qualify for Out-of-Warranty service?

I read this on the Apple site: "However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service."

...i would be MUCH more willing to pay a hundred and something dollars than the ridiculous 545 replacement.
Yes, you're eligible for out of warranty replacement. It would cost $149 + tax for the iPhone 4 and $199 + tax for iPhone 4S.

Comment

pickmeup212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Fair? You broke your phone.. Should have been more careful. I understand initially it was a hardware issue, but your negligence has now turned it into user damage via water. It's still fair that they will make you pay for a replacement due to water damage. Not fair is them charging out for a hardware failure within your warranty time frame.

....i got pushed off a dock into the water because i wouldn't give some drunk stranger guy my phone number. so yeah, i guess saying "no" is my carelessness.

----------

Yes, you're eligible for out of warranty replacement. It would cost $149 + tax for the iPhone 4 and $199 + tax for iPhone 4S.
thank you very much, runtohell, I really appreciate it.

Comment

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

....i got pushed off a dock into the water because i wouldn't give some drunk stranger guy my phone number. so yeah, i guess saying "no" is my carelessness.

----------

thank you very much, runtohell, I really appreciate it.

Than that guy should pay you.

Comment