Neighbors Defend Gay Couple Against Church Group

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 24, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/08/24/Neighbors_Defend_Gay_Couple_Against_Church_Group/

How can people get away with something like this for so long? It seems to me they should have been brought up on charges of harassment.

Another link for clarification:

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...e-defend-gay-couple-against-homophobic-attack

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Stupidity has been an enduring human trait for thousands upon thousands of years.

I'd guess, that as a species, we're well less than half-way to sanity.

But while the masses may lag, the individual can soar.

And try to drag the idiots a little further down the path with them.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I can tell you that if people like this showed up in my neighborhood, it would last about a minute. What the hell makes people think they can harass others like this outside their own homes? What was disturbing is that the church members declared they would be back.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

WTF?
    That is insane. This crosses the line of even free speech. The people doing this do not even live in this neighborhood. If the people doing that crap at least live in the neighborhood I might be willing to argue free speech but even then it is a stretch.

I would almost start calling the cops if people started doing that to me all the time.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's kind of hard to believe that anyone would think this is OK. I mean, how would they like it if people did that to them?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I can't be so certain their speech isn't protected.

But I would hope that the speech that comes back at them puts them in their place.

Just like Dr. Laura spouting the n-word.

Buh-bye! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Ethically and morally NEVER ok. Legally under free speech that is another matter. It is a fine line between harassment and free speech.

If the people doing this lived in the neighborhood it might be able to be argued on the free speech side but even then that is REALLY pushing it. Since they do not even live in the area then to me it is pretty clear it is on the harassment side.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Now I'm afraid this is going to give other people ideas. I can just see the Westboro Baptists churches of the world doing this. :(

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would almost say what they should do to get back at them is on a Sunday just as church is letting out stand out there making out or something. It free speech and their form of protect. Just like the strip club did. At least in that case the my understand is the strip club was close to the church so they at least had some grounds.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Free speech or not, this seems like it could easily qualify for harassment, and possibly trespassing if they were on their private property. I would've gotten a restraining order against them a long time ago.

And reading the comments on the 680news.com article, there is a stark contrast between those, and the comments I would expect if this had been posted on an American media outlet's website. I can't even begin to imagine the crap I'd see if this happened in St. Louis and some of the people who frequent our media outlets' website comments sections started posting. Canadians, with the exception of these church asshats, aren't living in the stone age. ;)

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

On the way home today from a gathering of several family members, my insightful 16yo son said: "People can be so stupid." This applies here. At least the neighbors came to their defense. The problem is that, being Canadians, the couple were probably too polite to complain to the police. :D

I assure you the comments would be similarly vitriolic to an American website had the incident happened, and been reported in, Alberta. The evolution is not homogeneous.

12. lordonuthin macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

So true, so true!

13. lordonuthin macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

Someone SHOULD do it to them, show up at their houses and preach about how wrong the bible is.

14. awmazz macrumors 65816

Well, it *is* harrassment. The article says the police were called, but the Gospellers scarpered before they arrived. As most people who know they are doing wrong tend to do...

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What this church is doing is wrong, plain & simple.

16. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

That would be hilarious. Just like what those breastfeeding mothers do when someone tries to shoo them away from a business. Get a whole bunch of gay men and women and have a huge make out session right in front of the church.

17. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I'm a Christian myself, but I'm an actual Christian. Ya know, one who "walks in Jesus' way" and loves everybody. These "Christians" are ****ing insane and give the rest of the Christian nation a really, really bad rep.

18. Queso macrumors G4

And yet they'll be the first to jump on the Persecution of Christians bandwagon if someone dared act against them for this. Truly disgusting people who need to drop the school playground bully mentality. I hope the next time they turn up there are 30 neighbours telling them to **** off, then if they dare again they face 100.

19. Zaid macrumors 6502

That is just ****ing nuts! It's harrassment pure and simple. Good on the neighbours for finally chasing them away and showing solidarity.

If their speach is protected, and it may well be, then maybe it's time for a bit of quid pro quo. Hold a very vocal rally outside their church every week when they've pulled this crap.

Picket and organise boycotts of any businesses/business owners that support this church. Hand out pamphlets outside their businesses with plackards so that customers know exactly what this church does and that these businesses support that.

Hold vigils outside the homes of members of the church that do this with signs like 'Bigotry is never acceptable' or even 'May god forgive your bigotry and hate'. Some of the 'some people are gay - get used to it' advertising they did in the UK may make for good banners :)

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, they'll show up again. They promised they would.

I like your thinking. ;)

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Apparently- to actually go to someone's house and deliberately do this is just beyond my ability to understand.

I have always stood behind Fred Phelps' right to protest publicly, but this is entirely different. You simply do not stand out in front of someone's house and harass them repeatedly. I mean, that's just common decency not to do such a thing.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The keyword being decency.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It would be really nice if they had some sort of establishment to share the gospel fitted with seats and other niceties.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Highfield Road Gospel Hall
    33 Highfield Rd (Dundas St E)
    Toronto, Ontario
    (416) 288 -0389.

They don't have a web address, but a phone call might elicit when they meet, on their own turf.

I'm sure if Toronto's rather massive LGBT population were to descend on them, one fine day, there might be fun.

:p

Attached Files: