Neil Armstrong: Obama Ruining U.S. Space Program

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Apr 14, 2010.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Destruction of space was evidently next on Obama's "To Do" list! Even the first man on the Moon, famed astronaut, and American hero, is criticizing Barack!

Armstrong: Obama Hurting Space Effort
    Politico
    http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1004/armstong_obama_hurting_space.html
    Former astronaut Neil Armstrong has issued a strongly worded rebuke of President Barack Obama, criticizing the president for proposed revisions to the U.S.' space program. Armstrong, along with astronauts James Lovell and Eugene Cernan, called the proposal “devastating” in a letter obtained by NBC News. Read below for the full text:

"The United States entered into the challenge of space exploration under President Eisenhower’s first term, however, it was the Soviet Union who excelled in those early years," the letter begins."Under the bold vision of Presidents Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon, and with the overwhelming approval of the American people, we rapidly closed the gap in the final third of the 20th century, and became the world leader in space exploration. ... "When President Obama recently released his budget for NASA, he proposed a slight increase in total funding, substantial research and technology development, an extension of the International Space Station operation until 2020, long range planning for a new but undefined heavy lift rocket and significant funding for the development of commercial access to low earth orbit. Although some of these proposals have merit, the accompanying decision to cancel the Constellation program, its Ares 1 and Ares V rockets, and the Orion spacecraft, is devastating.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

How about you do something besides posting a link? What are the pros and cons of his decision? What do you think his intention is in making this decision?

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Can the US afford a space program in the short run? Especially since the next nearest competitor, China, is so far behind?

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

Yeah, he wants to destruct space
    :rolleyes:

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Okay, that's done it. I think I might love you.

If this means I get to see nutball anti-Obama posters like this, I might even turn out to watch a Tea Party rally:

[​IMG]

I mean, you know, from a distance. A telescopic distance if possible. I still don't want to get any of that crazy on me.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And Buzz Aldrin was on Howard Stern's show this morning and said that even though he voted for Gramps and that spoiled bitch from Wasilla, he fully supports Obama's plans for NASA. But of course, you won't report on that, will you? Is Buzz Aldrin not an "American hero" to you because he was the second person to walk on the moon? :rolleyes:

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The space program is extremely important, IMO. The right time is NOW. If we just keep putting it off, we'll never get around to exploring like we should. Look what has happened since we went to the moon- not a whole lot. We should be much further along than we are now. The technology and innovation we get as a result of space exploration is invaluable.

Obama needs to pull us out of both wars, get health care set up, and put some money into the space program.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it appears Obama back track and now putting part of the Consultation project back on track.
    http://news.discovery.com/space/obama-backtracks-on-nasa-capsule.html?

We need a replacement for the aging shuttle and we had a lot of the work done. It is nice to see that human space flight will keep on going in the US and the US will continue to be the world leader there.

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

Buzz Aldrin: I applaud the President

Statement from Buzz Aldrin: A New Direction in Space
    NASA
    http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/421062main_Buzz_Aldrin_Statement.pdf

Today I wish to endorse strongly the President’s new direction for NASA. As an Apollo astronaut, I know the importance of always pushing new frontiers as we explore space. The truth is, that we have already been to the Moon – some 40 years ago. A near-term focus on lowering the cost of access to space and on developing key, cutting-edge technologies to take us further, faster, is just what our Nation needs to maintain its position as the leader in space exploration for the rest of this century. We need to be in this for the long haul, and this program will allow us to again be pushing the boundaries to achieve new and challenging things beyond Earth. I hope NASA will embrace this new direction as much as I do, and help us all continue to use space exploration to drive prosperity and innovation right here on Earth.

10. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I could see a delay in the moon / Mars mission; but the cut Ares off at the knee caps, and deprive the US of a manned mission capability is crazy. They really should have kept the LEO part of the program. I'm not an emotional person, but to see the fallow tower for Ares next to the VAB, is like a kick in the stomach.

While sad, we Florida voters - especially us in the Merritt Island/Titusville area will remember this treachery in 2012.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

On January 14, 2004, President George W. Bush announced a new Vision for Space Exploration, which included plans for the United States to return astronauts to the Moon no later than 2020 (with the first human landing currently targeted for 2019). This mission would be a part of the Constellation program, NASA's program to create a new generation of spacecraft for human spaceflight. However, this was practically a "lame duck" announcement for no plans to finance such an endeavor. So much for fiscal conservatism or pay as you go legislation.

A review of space exploration was carried out but the Augastin Commission in 1009. A look at its members shows a space-friendly group of people:

-Norman Augustine (chairman), former CEO of Lockheed Martin, former chairman of the Advisory Committee on the Future of the United States Space Program
    -Wanda Austin, CEO of The Aerospace Corporation
    -Bohdan Bejmuk, former Boeing manager
    -Leroy Chiao, former NASA astronaut
    -Christopher Chyba, Princeton University professor
    -Edward F. Crawley, MIT professor
    -Jeffrey Greason, co-founder of XCOR Aerospace
    -Charles Kennel, former director of Scripps Institution of Oceanography
    -Lester Lyles, former Air Force general
    -Sally Ride, former NASA astronaut

The decision to step back from the empty promises of Bush is made based on recommendations from the Augustin Commission report and the harsh economic realities of 2010.

If Obama were to announce full funding of NASA for the Constellation program, I'm sure IntheNet would advocate:
    1) Handouts to NASA and Florida in order to curry votes
    2) Privatization of NASA (because, according to IntheNet, the government cant be trusted to do anything right...look at health care)

OBTW: The successful Apollo program was cancelled in 1973 by NASA due to shrinking budgets under the Nixon administration.

And i'm FOR space exploration. Just against the politicization of the debate.

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Aldrin is a media whore, almost as much as Obama is.

Armstrong is not. When the man speaks, which is rare, I listen.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good to see.

Hmm... no one seems to listen to you much either. ;)

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

but only quote the guy when what he says fits your agenda? :rolleyes:

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You can hardly call Armstrong an unbiased contributor in the debate, regardless of how much or little he speaks.

On the face of it I am not happy at all with the thought of retiring the space shuttles with no replacement waiting in the wings, but there is a lot of evidence of mismanagement and waste at NASA and its contractors/subcontractors and you can't lay the blame for that at Obma's feet.

16. gibbz macrumors 68030

Ok. As long as we are clear on your selective biases.

17. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Had President Bush cancelled the Constellation program, its Ares 1 and Ares V rockets, and the Orion spacecraft, Neil Armstrong would have issued a similar complaint. What is important in this story is (1) the lengths to which liberals support dear leader regardless of direction, and (2) Obama's reckless lack of leadership in canceling NASA's entire heavy lift program from the budget, a decision that has strategic implications.

Heaven forbid anyone actually faulting the president! OMG!

18. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Much of the operations of NASA are currently done though USA (United Space Alliance), a group of private sector businesses. Indeed, much as NASA's work has been done by private companies, under the direction of NASA, for years.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What makes Armstrong an expert on the space program ? Because he went to the moon?

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You can't blame him for everything. Well, not and retain any credibility. The problems associated with these NASA programs predate Obama.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is funny that they would say it is all for Florida to carry votes but the real fact is Houston gets the largest chunk of human space flight money. Cuttint the Constellation program effectually hurt Florida support and completely killed any support from Houston area.

22. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I did not quote anyone. I'm just offering my observations of people involved.

23. IntheNet thread starter macrumors regular

IntheNet

Well, in fairness, if you listen to either Obama or his spokesman Gibbs for more than a minute, all problems predate Obama! Specific to NASA, he inherited that budget 15 months ago. When do you think it becomes his responsibility?

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You guys blamed EVERTHING that was bad during Bush's EIGHT YEARS on Clinton and now are crying when we point out that the economy sucks because of the last President.

25. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

How about Marshall in North Alabama?