Neil Young

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Just wanted to hear from some other Neil Young fans on the board. What are your favorite Neil songs? Albums? Mine change all the time, but I'd say at the moment they go something like (not in any particular order):

Songs:
Stringman
Powderfinger
Like A Hurricane
Ambulance Blues
Be The Rain
Sample and Hold

Albums:
Rust Never Sleeps
Greendale
Trans
Unplugged
Neil Young

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Old Man & Sugar Mountain make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up... I have no idea why.

Saying that, I like Harvest.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
My dad's been a big Neil Young fan since his early days, and growing up hearing his songs played so much I suppose it was only natural that I inherited a love for his music too.

Given how prolific and how musically diverse Young is, I find it a bit hard to narrow him down to just a couple of favourite songs. It's easier for me to choose a couple of albums, and Harvest, Unplugged and Decade are all essential listening in my book.

Thanks mduser63 – I think I know what iTunes will be playing for me tonight! :D

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I know what you're saying about it being hard to narrow it down to a few favorites, and the things I picked are just the ones I've been playing the most in the last week or so. The truth is, I like pretty much all the Neil Young music I've heard, and that includes some of his less well-liked stuff from the '80s.

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I love Neil...he's awesome and I have seen him live countless times. My faves change all the time but in general I prefer his electric stuff....Zuma, Ragged Glory....but also I like the "moody" stuff like "Old Homestead" on Hawks'n'Doves....oh yeah!

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I only have a few of Neil's albums and I love them all (Harvest, Tonight's The Night, On The Beach, After The Goldrush). That said, I think that Harvest stands out above them all. Probably going to have to pick up a few more next time I hit up the record store. Of what I have heard, I can't really pick out my favorite song though, too many too choose from... :)

dirt farmer

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
I am a huge music fan. I love all kinds of music, everything under the sun. My top ten songs of all time has varied from time to time, but one song has remained, and will remain, number one:

"Cowgirl in the Sand", from Neil's Everyone knows this is Nowhere album.

The guitar solos take me back to that special place, down deep inside (and everyone has a "special place").

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Meaningful songs like Southern Man and Ohio and The Needle and the Damage Done have appeal to me, but the first Neil Young song I bought was [playlistId=28583438&selectedItemId=28583446]Cinnamon Girl[/playlistId]. I just like it best, that's all.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
I know someone whos dad went to school with neil back in the 60s..

hmm my fave neil tune would have to be powderfinger I guess, I'm also currently digging the Trans album.. so hilarious ;)

I cant wait to see Neil Young perform at the junos in a month (too bad tickets sold out so fast), there's a chance he might be peforming a few tunes with some of his local friends :)

Dangerbird

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
Like a Hurricane
Down by The River
Dangerbird
Powderfinger
Thrasher
Expecting to Fly
Southern Man
Heavy Love
Yonder Stands the Sinner
Harvest
Cowgirl in the Sand

Today's list. Tomorrow's will be different.

Albums:

Harvest, Tonights the Night, Sleeps With Angels, Time Fades Away Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Zuma.

Thank you for this thread. Anyone hear any rumors about Neil changing labels and releasing an album this year?

Iainoco

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2005
I've been a fan of Neil for years now. Favorite album has to be Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere as it blew me away when I first heard it. Second, Weld as I love the stuff with Crazy Horse.

I had to think long and hard about my favorite song but I think it's probably Winterlong.

For anyone wanting to know more about Neil then the biog Shakey is excellent.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
An uncle of mine saw Neil last year (I believe) and said he had all these props on stage, kind of like a school play. I would love to see something like that; does anyone know if he still does this?

Fishes,
narco.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Narco,
That was the Greendale tour, where the "props" were sort of a set for the story of Greendale. I doubt he'll do it again as the Greendale tour is over, and he'll likely have a new album out soon. Anyway, you can see a live performance of Be The Rain, complete with lots of Neil's friends and family on stage with those props on the Greendale movie DVD (it's a bonus feature IIRC).

Anyone hear any rumors about Neil changing labels and releasing an album this year?
From what I've heard, he's recently been in the studio recording a new album recently, and it's expected that it'll be released this year. Where did you hear he was changing labels?

Dangerbird

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
mduser63 said:
Narco,

From what I've heard, he's recently been in the studio recording a new album recently, and it's expected that it'll be released this year. Where did you hear he was changing labels?
I heard from Hyperrust that he changed to Sanctuary Records. He owed Reprise one more album, so he gave them The Greatest Hits. Haven't seen any official announcements though, so don't know.

Dangerbird

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
Iainoco said:
For anyone wanting to know more about Neil then the biog Shakey is excellent.
Great book. Read it several times already. The one biography I read that seems to give an indepth sense of the man. I'm sure nowhere indepth enough however. He flat out has balls.

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Dangerbird said:
I heard from Hyperrust that he changed to Sanctuary Records. He owed Reprise one more album, so he gave them The Greatest Hits. Haven't seen any official announcements though, so don't know.
Duff-Man says....Sanctuary released the Greendale DVD and book, the Rust Never Sleeps DVD and will at some point put out the "Human Highway" film on DVD as well...I should be able to find out if the signing for regular "music cd's" is true or not...oh yeah!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
FAVORITE SONGS:

Southern Man
Old Man
Carmichael

FAVORITE ALBUMS:
Greendale
Harvest
The Best Of

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
Definitely a big fan of Neil. Could have shot myself for missing the chance to see him in concert a few months ago... I had planned to see James Taylor (another favorite artist, probably even more so than NY) but the show was the day after my return from a long camping trip out west so I decided to skip it. I'd already seen JT in concert about 6 times, so missing one concert wasn't a big deal. Then I find out that Neil Young made a surprise appearance at the end of the show!! :( Man, what a sh*t call not going to that one.

Favorite NY album is definitely Harvest. Harvest Moon is also great. I love the song "Old King". It's the best song to play for driving around in the woods or on road trips...

Hey, any fans of Crosby, Stills and Nash (w/ or w/out Young) here?

Dangerbird

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
I've seen CSN several times, enjoyed them each time. Saw the reunion of CSNY in New York and Philadelphia couple of years back. Still think it is extraordinary watching Stills and Young play guitar together. There is something special about that combination.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
I was supposed to see him perform at the Junos next weekend.. but not anymore since I didn't buy tickets in time..

I love the Trans album, as well as the Greendale and Live Rust albums.

I'dd LOVE to see Neil re-release old Neil Young & the Squires albums 39 years later

I love the songs Welfare Mothers, Mr Soul (off the unplugged album and Trans), Transformer Man (unplugged/Trans), Pocahontas, and Powderfinger

I'dd LOVE to see Neil do a covers album, covers of songs that influnced him, from Hank Marvin (although he did a cover of Spring is Nearly Here with Randy Bachman), Bob Dylan, Chad Allen & the Expressions (ake The Guess Who), Johnny Cash and others

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
SilvorX said:
I'dd LOVE to see Neil do a covers album, covers of songs that influnced him, from Hank Marvin (although he did a cover of Spring is Nearly Here with Randy Bachman), Bob Dylan, Chad Allen & the Expressions (ake The Guess Who), Johnny Cash and others
It would certainly be an interesting album. On the other side of the coin, there's a whole shed load of artists who have covered his songs – with varying degrees of success... ;)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Jaffa Cake said:
It would certainly be an interesting album. On the other side of the coin, there's a whole shed load of artists who have covered his songs – with varying degrees of success... ;)
one of the first musicians who ever covered one of his songs was Neil's friend's band called The Guess Who, they covered "Flying on the Ground is Wrong", BEFORE Buffalo Springfield was formed!

I hope Neil is feeling better now, he had brain surgery for a brain aneurism, I wish him the best of luck, it would have been really nice to see Neil Young performing with Dr. Randy Bachman.. but ah well