neocon Hillary picks anti abortion VP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 22, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...ti_abortion_tim_kaine_for_vice_president.html
    trying to get some evangelicals vote?

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Another in a long line of failures for Hillary.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

who cares about super predators?

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Tim_Kaine.htm

Read his section on abortion. Seems balanced, allowing privacy yet valuing life and not making it so disposable with frivolous abortions, and since science-based education lacks the emotional reasons why we have sexual contact with only partners we LOVE with compassion and care for their well-being as well as our own, maybe a little faith-based reasoning should return. The atheists took the soul out of a little too much, I fear.

Not much is said about bank regulation and the other hot button issue over the last year or so, the TPP. I otherwise find the guy to be halfway decent with what is stated on that webpage. But nothing is said on the issues most Democrats (and many Republicans) have been wanting to know since the last time the banks were deregulated, utopia was not the result. Anyone have the scoop?

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

7. oldmacs macrumors 68040

He personally does not support abortion as it does not align with his religious beliefs, but he supports women having the choice - I don't see that as too problematic a view.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Agreed. He doesn't support it but he's open to having the option available. Seems like a reasonable compromise.

I don't agree with abortion except in cases of rape or direct threat to the mother's life. It's not a religious conviction rather a philosophical belief. It's easy for me to say because I've never been in an accidental pregnancy situation and I have the means to support a child- but of course the ultimate decision would have to be the mother's. I can see why some would want an abortion though. Whether abortion is moral and appropriate should be up to the parents. People who chose abortion have to live with whatever consequences, if any, go along with that decision (sadness, regret, etc). If you don't believe in abortion then don't get an abortion. Otherwise MYOB.

9. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I believe that women should have the choice, buts similar to you, that abortion should be avoided wherever possible, but again yeah its down to the mother/parents in the end - its not really my business!

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Feminist organizations are one of the last places I would look for anything resembling credibility. They supported Clinton solely because she's a woman and self-declared feminist, not due to past actions or shared values.

I laughed at this zinger though.

How is this the thing that makes Jacobson question whether Clinton's views align with anything that might be regarded as progressive?

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Hell, I'm Liberal and Atheist and I personally do not support abortion. Granted, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances. However, my personal beliefs will never get in the way of a woman's right to choose.

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

Pretty much this:

Continually repeating that Kaine is anti-choice -- when PP and NARAL rate him 100% -- is the very Trumpesque. By which I mean; "bull****"​

The Kaine pick blows chunks. There's no need to lie about it. Just call it what it is - he's a giant sack DC/corporate insider tapioca. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Religious beliefs conflicting with politics once again.

14. Robisan macrumors 6502

FWIW progressive journalist Al Giordano, who founded Narco News, has a Storify out today that is very pro Kaine and that counters the squishy vanilla image most people have of him. It's worth a read. Link here.

15. 1458279 Suspended

I really don't see why people even ask about this anymore. We've had a law in place for some 40 years now.

I think the real issue is the Bernie and Warren sold out and now look at the choices:
    One takes HUUUGE money from Wall Street and voted for a war that's still going on.
    Supported trade like NAFTA and TPP.
    Invated Libya.

The other is self funded and is against free trade agreements and was against the war.

Bernie got dissed by Hillary big time, and sold out. Ralph Nader was right about Bernie, he sold out. If the Bernie supporters don't see that, and do something about it they have no backbone.

Things aren't going to change if the people don't stand up.

The Clinton machine steamrolled Bernie in CA and NV. If they cast a vote for her, they deserve what they get. She's pure corruption.

16. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Why is abortion always such a big topic in US elections? Don't you live in the land of the free?

17. 1458279 Suspended

The real answer is that it's a hot button issue that divides the nation. Some feel so strong about it that you get an instant divide and it takes economics off the front burner.

It's the classic diversion used to get people to focus on something else. People fall for it over and over again, yet for several decades, the law hasn't changed.

Obama did this with the men that think they're little girls get to go pee-pee with you daughters. It comes from the "things to distract Americans so they won't see what's really going on" file.

This file is right next to the "long worded non-answers to probing questions you really don't want to answer" file.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Men pee pee with their own daughters all the time...

19. 617aircav Suspended

20. 1458279 Suspended

I guess at a certain age that would be ok, but you left out the "men that think they're little girls" part. :D

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL, the smell of desperation permeates the thread. Kaine should deliver Virginia for Hillary which means pretty much game over for Trump.

If Kaine is so anti-choice, why does he have a 100% rating from NARAL and PP?

And props to @JeffFlake
    Trying to count the ways I hate @timkaine. Drawing a blank. Congrats to a good man and a good friend.

22. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The abortion issue is idiotic. I don't know why it comes up every election. Whether we have had a president who is for it or against it, no president in at least 20 years has tried to change it's why does it keep coming up as an issue.

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Men don't go "pee pee" with other people's daughters however!

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You really don't understand transgender people do you? And what does this have to do with Obama? The religious right started passing laws long before he said anything.