Neooffice Aqua Released

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
534
0
The Kitchen
For users of this alternative to MS office, it looks like a day early for the free release of Neooffice Aqua. I downloaded the upgrade as well as Patch 1 for both a PPC and Intel macs, and both boot up faster and run smoother. The GUI seems a little more OSX-like ta' boot.

Still no Microsoft products on my Mac...

Go to the Neooffice Website to give it a whirl.
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
i will try out tomorrow, hope it will be faster, otherwise, i will get back to ooffice.
 

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
2,105
0
London
That is impressive. Shame on Microsoft for having no native version of office for intel macs.
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
same speed, not feeling faster than OOffice at all. I guess just packed in a prettier outfit.
 

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
218
0
SE London
Going to download and try it - thanks for the link. I'm too tied up in MS Office to switch completely (after all it is good software after all), but this may suffice until MS release a universal version of Office

EDIT: Hallelujah, I've been converted!
 

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
525
0
the install notes do not state the preferred method for current NeoOffice users. as this is a full install, should i uninstall the old version first or install this over the old version??
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
clevin said:
same speed, not feeling faster than OOffice at all. I guess just packed in a prettier outfit.
Well, NeoOffice Aqua is an adaptation from OpenOffice. They converted the C++ and XWindows code to Java. It may not run faster but it's certainly nicer looking. It might be closer to native but without XWindows running, my system will be happier.

It looks good. Maybe, no one will care when the native version of OpenOffice comes.
 

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
4,940
0
Dress Rosa
bousozoku said:
Well, NeoOffice Aqua is an adaptation from OpenOffice. They converted the C++ and XWindows code to Java. It may not run faster but it's certainly nicer looking. It might be closer to native but without XWindows running, my system will be happier.

It looks good. Maybe, no one will care when the native version of OpenOffice comes.
Actually, if they get a Cocoa OOo then it'll be way faster than NeoOffice.

For me NeoOffice is now faster than OOo

Found a bug: printing multiple copies doesn't work, it'll just print 1
 

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
619
0
East of the Mississippi
slackersonly said:
the install notes do not state the preferred method for current NeoOffice users. as this is a full install, should i uninstall the old version first or install this over the old version??
I never have in the past, I'm dl'ing now and will install over Alpha 4 Patch 3. You'll hear me yelling if it's not a smooth upgrade. :D
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,802
172
Bergen, Norway
I downloaded and tried this a bit yesterday, and it seems very nice. A big improvement over previous versions. Cannot wait for the final release. :)

This might mean I'll never, never use MS Office again. :cool:

Bliss...

Oh, and password protected files seems to work great. I have one file with all my passwords and logins. Much more convenient than secure notes in Keychain Access. :)
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm... so someone has to say it, it might as well be me. :eek: Could that look any *less* Aqua? :( Whether or not NeoOffice Aqua used Cocoa or Carbon to do it... at least it looks more or less like an OS X app. Don't get me wrong. I think the OOo and Neo developments are great, and I wish them all the best. But...erm....
 

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
190
0
Safari desert
mkrishnan said:
Erm... so someone has to say it, it might as well be me. :eek: Could that look any *less* Aqua? :( Whether or not NeoOffice Aqua used Cocoa or Carbon to do it... at least it looks more or less like an OS X app. Don't get me wrong. I think the OOo and Neo developments are great, and I wish them all the best. But...erm....
afaik, those screenies are taken from pre-pre-pre-pre alpha development builds
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
mkrishnan said:
Erm... so someone has to say it, it might as well be me. :eek: Could that look any *less* Aqua? :( Whether or not NeoOffice Aqua used Cocoa or Carbon to do it... at least it looks more or less like an OS X app. Don't get me wrong. I think the OOo and Neo developments are great, and I wish them all the best. But...erm....
It looks as though they're trying to preserve the OpenOffice look so that one manual works for everyone. I don't see the need for it to require a makeover that might introduce more problems.

NeoOffice has been a C/C++ to Java conversion.

It looks like the Edit menu title in the French screenshots had some problem. Did that person seriously have over 3000 new e-mails?
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
lOUDsCREAMEr said:
afaik, those screenies are taken from pre-pre-pre-pre alpha development builds
Okay, I see... but isn't the whole point of the Aqua version of OOo for OOo to go...Aqua? I mean it's a pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha of OOo Aqua but not of the core OOo technology.... Anyway though, I don't mean to whine. I'm just curious as to what the goals of this project are in terms of how OS X-ey the first version will be?
 

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
525
0
anyone else notice that the screenshots show 3k+ new mail message.
i hope that i am NEVER that popular.
 

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
276
0
Seattle, WA
mkrishnan said:
Okay, I see... but isn't the whole point of the Aqua version of OOo for OOo to go...Aqua? I mean it's a pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha of OOo Aqua but not of the core OOo technology.... Anyway though, I don't mean to whine. I'm just curious as to what the goals of this project are in terms of how OS X-ey the first version will be?
At that point, I think by "Aqua" they meant more "Not in X11". Now they're prettying it up.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,802
172
Bergen, Norway
NeoOffice has been X11-free for a long time.

But now they use OS X' built-in features more than they used to. Not just look and feel, but actually working like a Mac application, like the Open and Save dialogs:

Picture 1.png Picture 2.png

I think it looks good enough... :)
 

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
190
0
Safari desert
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
NeoOffice has been X11-free for a long time.

But now they use OS X' built-in features more than they used to. Not just look and feel, but actually working like a Mac application, like the Open and Save dialogs:

View attachment 56186 View attachment 56185

I think it looks good enough... :)
i hope Neooffice Aqua 3.0 will at least have:

[1] drag-n-drop images from desktop to insert pix in Writer..
[2] better toolbar in standard mac style ala Pages (e.g. inspector)
[3] at least 10 "bundled" Impress/Writer templates/themes quality at LEAST at par with Office 2004, preferably as elegant as those in Keynote 3.0
[4] some beautiful fonts..
[5] more cool effects like reflection in Keynote 3.0
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
My instinct is:
altho neooffice beta looks more mac like when u look at scroll bar
OOffice mac utilized more mac element, such as the feel of the background of toolbar, and I think it probably runs faster. I will wait for it.
BTW, looks like OOfice mac is X11 free too?