Nerd hath no fury like a woman Thor

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jul 15, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To paraphrase the saying.

As a recovering comic book collector (I was into them as a kid in the 80s), I actually look forward to what Marvel is going to do with this.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...-marvel-announces-a-new-thor-and-shes-a-woman

Now.. re-imagine that fight scene between Thor and Iron Man in the Avengers, after Tony Stark has been on a bender. :p

Better yet: Thor fighting She-Hulk.. ;)

I think I'll stop there.

BL.

EDIT: Image added.

[​IMG]

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Ah pointless placating political correctness. Why not just make a new character with it's own comic book? Rather than getting rid of an old one in such an obvious manner. It's not bold or shocking in today's world. Just a hum drum change. Reeking of self aggrandizement.

The only comics I've ever read are Superman and X-Men. All the others always seemed lesser somehow. Although I haven't picked one up since I was 10.

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Who said they were getting rid of the character? They didn't get rid of Loki when they changed him.

Nor Captain Marvel.
    Nor Nova (in both Herald and Human Torch versions).

If it were about being politically correct, it wouldn't have taken 40+ years to have the first female superhero. They didn't appear the 1960s, and when was Action Comics #1 issued?

BL.

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Well, actually, the original Captain Marvel died of cancer, it was a pretty moving story. The mantle of Captain Marvel was then held by 2 of his 3 kids (Genus Vell and Phyla Vell), Monica Rambeau and now currently former Ms Marvel, Carol Danvers.

Action Comics #1 came out in 1938.

Thor still exists and will be her guide. "Torunn" has just proven worthy of wielding Mjølnir.

It's more of introducing a legacy akin to Wally West to Barry Allen.

I am also baffled that you'd be offended by this, yet be an X-Men reader, since X-Men is all about diversity, inclusion and acceptance.

I love that neck beards are getting bent over this, but have no problem with Steve Rogers being replaced as Captain America (again). "Political Correctness" the ballyhoo of those afraid that there might be something other than straight white males in the comics/games.

Fun little reminder, Thor himself has been a Frog.

Attached Files:

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. Beta Ray Bill easily comes to mind.

BL.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The one thing I worry about with making the character female is that she'll end up being drawn in awkward, fanservicey poses.

7. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yeah, that's something I worry about all the time. The artist for now tends to have a respect for women, so I can hope.

I think that's why I'm loving Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel, strong heroines treated with a fair bit of respect.

8. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

The author is Jason Aaron. The extent of his creative genius was to retell the Terminator movies using Sentinels as Terminators. He is a joke and I would expect something so idiotic from him.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Can someone explain how she can be "Thor"? Thor is a characters name, not an object, so I don't get how they brand her Thor as if they were the same thing, but with a different sex.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It would hardly be the first time that a new character takes up the mantle of an existing superhero, title et al.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I know, but I still understand this quote as meaning that she *is* Thor:

If I understand it correctly, she is simply "Thorita".

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Ah, I thought they were simply making Thor a woman for the purposes of political correctness. Not adding someone else just simply saying Thor is now a woman. Since it tries to emphasize that it isn't a she-Thor but simply Thor. But why wouldn't she be called Torun if that is the characters name and Thor keep his name? Or is Thor a title like General or Doctor?

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I know him from Scalped, which is one of my favorite comic books series. I have never been a big Marvel or DC guy so I don't know his other works. But looking over his wiki page, he has done quite a bit.

14. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

So Thor is getting a sex change hmmmmm.

I agree this political correctness is pathetic. It is really sad when lackluster writers/artists have to resort to taking a known character and re-working it rather than creating a new character that stands up to the test of time.

I wonder if next they'll give Wonder Woman a ....

We live in such an age of mediocrity.

15. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

No, she is Thor. The way she became Thor is because the "powers of Thor" are in the hammer and she was found worthy. It's turning Thor from a name of a person to something similar to "Doctor Fate". She is Thor.

----------

I doubt this has much to do with being PC, any more than him being a frog has to do with them being PC. Seriously, it's just a story idea. Hell, they had Loki being a woman for a long time and I don't remember this much backlash.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Thanks, that made it clear to me.

Still weird. But as a scandinavian I guess my views on Thor are a bit different than those of Marvel, hence why I didn't get it. :p

17. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Perfectly understandable, really. I didn't get it at first either.

18. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Technically they can't call her Torunn, because there's already two in the comics (there's one in 616, and Thor/Sif's daughter in the future).

I'm curious who she is at this point. They say she's someone Thor saved in the past. I was hoping Jane Foster was going to get to wield Mjølnir again.

I think they're stressing her as "Thor" so it's not like She-Hulk, or Supergirl, where she's essentially an ancillary character, she is the title character. Kinda like when Carol Danvers took the Captain Marvel title, or Renee Montoya became The Question.

19. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

This is what I was thinking, or like Frankie Raye, upon becoming a Herald of Galactus, had the Nova title after the first Nova died, and the second Nova gave his powers back.

both Danvers and Raye had their titles for a long while (at least from the 80s), and made it their own. This is only different as it carries the history of Thor with it.

BL.

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

21. James Stark macrumors newbie

Honestly wasn't excited about this until I read that. That would be epic! Still not sure I like the idea of changing the entire character. I've got no problem with woman heroes.. just don't see changing a male hero ( Thor at that! ) to a ladie. We'll see though!

22. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And this coming from someone named 'Stark'. :D ;)

BL.

23. James Stark macrumors newbie

24. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I was thinking about this while debating on hitting Comic-Con to say thank you to LeVar Burton for his work on the Reading Rainbow kickstarter project (I contributed; wasn't going to pass that up! sorry.. digressed)..

Say they continue down that route and make a new Thor movie. With this revelation and accents aside, who do you think should play Thor? I don't know if you really want a Brunhilda-type, but you also don't want someone very petite either..

Someone like Jeri Ryan, perhaps?

BL.

25. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Heh.. Funny that I brought that up, as it was a huge question going around Comic-Con last week. But straight from the creators mouth, we have this:

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/27/332615488/lessons-from-behind-the-comic-book-counter

I knew about Carol Danvers being Ms. Marvel, but forgot about Kamala Khan. But now this puts Thor more into perspective, and sounds like it might be good.

BL.