Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Nest to Require Two-Factor Authentication for All Accounts From This Month

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
It's 2020, everyone should have 2FA enabled and every company should have 2FA for all accounts... I'm looking at you Netflix.

Ya but just gives people an excuse they shouldn't never loose their phones again, or disable 2FA in the "hope your son loose your phone" otherwise you can't gain access.
Companies like Dropbox bluntly refuse access to alternative ways to gain access to ones account..

More and more companies are adopting 2FA, but its putting more fear on "this one device only" you must never loose again in case. When it gives companies total control over "if you can get back in, and alternative options" this really is not the best way to lock users out.

Educate people rather than forcing them

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Ya but just gives people an excuse they shouldn't never loose their phones again, or disable 2FA in the "hope your son loose your phone" otherwise you can't gain access.
Companies like Dropbox bluntly refuse access to alternative ways to gain access to ones account..

More and more companies are adopting 2FA, but its putting more fear on "this one device only" you must never loose again in case. When it gives companies total control over "if you can get back in, and alternative options" this really is not the best way to lock users out.

I easily can lose my phone. I use Microsoft’s Auth app, which has a back up feature.

My 11 Pro Max broke last month and Apple sent me a replacement. Set it up with no involvement from my old phone.

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
I didn’t write that post but can relate and say yes I just want it to just function as a thermostat and also work better than it does. Nothing but problems with controlling temp, adjusting degrees, schedules, etc since the Google monster started to digest Nest.
Oh rght, only asking the Q as mine has been flawless. Changed to Nest after endless issues with Hive.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2018

I agree that a 2FA implementation where if you lose your phone means lost access is bad. There should always be an alternate method. Some places let you generate backup codes, some places let you enter alternate phone numbers, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.