Net firms in music pirates deal [UK]

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jul 24, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Net firms will never* cut customers off, if they give the boot to those that download music "illegally" they'll have no one left.

*I hope.

2. stomer macrumors 6502a

How about customers taking preemptive action and give those 6 ISPs the boot?

They'd soon change their tune then.

Virgin seems to be begging for it. Traffic-shaping, Phorm and now this.

3. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

this is a summer "silly season" story
    All the BPI have got the ISP to do is send out warning letters
    I'd be surprised if any of the actually cut anybody off
    people will just go to smaller ISP's who don't care what your downloading
    plus its going to be bad publicity for them the first time the cut the wrong person off because the teenager next door is nicking their open wifi

the music industry have got more chance of nailing a jelly to the ceiling that stopping "illegal" downloads

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I disagree. Smaller ISPs are probably under more pressure to bow to the requests of the music industry, as they don't have the resources to fight back if they don't conform. Larger ISPs may stand a better chance after saying "No thanks", and generally have a louder public voice.

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

On the flip side the record companies know they are very much fighting an uphill battle. If they're going to put in the effort to try and stop it, then their time is better spent knocking on the doors of the companies that serve millions rather than those smaller ones that only serve a few hundred thousand. As DAC47 said, they probably wouldn't give a ****, they're not breaking any laws themselves by allowing people to use their connection for pretty much whatever they want, so why should they care.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^ Bigger fish have a fighting chance if they tell the music industry to piss off, but you could be right.

I don't think any of this will work, but I guess if you're going to go after someone, it may as well be a larger ISP.

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I read an article about this last week somewhere here on macrumors....

It was about virgin solely, but 6 ISPs is new to me.

Anyway the article detailed that virgin would examine how much content was being downloaded and if they feel it to be excessive then a letter would be sent.

How on earth they will know what is being downloaded is beyond me....

They can send a letter and I would just reply that all my downloads come from a combination of iTunes (both music and Movies) and Xbox live!

How can they tell its from illegally downloading music.... with xbox demos and game content, not to mention HD movie rentals and online gaming my monthly downloading must be sky high! Most demos are about 1gig in size!

This is a waste of effort by the ISPs and the BPI in my opinion!

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hmmm. Here comes the postman now…
    Hope it's just bills.

:eek:

Edit:
    Just junk mail…

9. garybUK Guest

garybUK

is the water company allowed to test your waste for narcotics in your urine? NO!! then why is my ISP allowed to test what i'm downloading? Absolute breach of privacy laws.

If the record companies have reasonable suspect that i am downloading illegaly then they should go through a legal process, like in the US.

I'll be looking at one of these encrypted VPN's

10. remmy macrumors 6502a

If I got a letter would moving service stop them, or make them restart the process of checking what was being downloaded?

11. Stardotboy macrumors regular

If I receive a letter from BT it will result in a call to them outlining why I will be moving to a different service provider with immediate effect. Despite protestations that they won't be cutting anyone off in relation to this, I feel passionately that as consumers we should make our voice heard if we don't like the idea of ISPs snooping on our activity.

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The reason the six ISP's are going along with this is to scare users into stopping using P2P resulting in less traffic for them,less costs equals more profit in a subscription based business. Hopefully people will change ISP's en masse.

13. CortexRock macrumors 6502

ISPs need to get their own houses in order first and start delivering the speeds they promised when getting people signed up.

Once you've signed on the line it's all "distance from the exchange", "quality of the copper", "not our problem, guv'nor"... unacceptable!

If I'm downloading stuff I shouldn't, make it easier and cheaper for me to get it legally and I'm there. Good quality, no DRM, decent connection speed, good distribution model, customer service and technical support...

14. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

Actually thinking about this, its probably a good way for the ISPs to boot some of the high usage customers they hate so much.

"if you downloaded 100gb a month, some of it must be copyrighted music"

15. Queso macrumors G4

As a heavy user of open-source software I use BitTorrent a lot, but never for music nor films. It will be interesting to see whether they take the easy option and just classify all P2P traffic as illegal.

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ISP's, easy option? Probably.

17. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

The BPI letter was supposed to name specific files that were downloaded/shared that infringed copyright, not just about file sharing in general.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agree with e. Kiss your BitTorrent goodbye. They'll take the easy route and make a blanket assumption about BitTorrent usage. There may be a process to argue your point. Maybe if you make a stink about it, they'll actually look at how you used so much internet. However, I doubt it'll be easy.

19. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

How would they know this without exposing that they are snooping into what we consumers are downloading!!!

Its a tightrope for them, one way they expose illegal downloads andf the other they expose themselves for breaching privacy laws!

20. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Here's a crazy idea. Don't do illegal downloads and then you won't get cut off...

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I was talking with a guy at work and he's got several cease and desist letters from his ISP over illegally downloaded material....

Thing is, he doesn't actually download anything illegally, he's very much against it, he uses iTunes and xbox live alot, but nothing illegal...

He's rung them up several times and they've just said they have more than enough proof to cut him off, when he asked to see a copy of the proof, they said it was confidential...

They're just going to go after anyone with high bandwidth use and send letters out regardless...

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Because your traffic is going through their network, and they can just sniff the packets. If you're on a network at home or work, anyone can sniff those packets too.
    The water company doesn't do anything with your used beer, and even if they did, they wouldn't be under any legal threat because of your drug usage.

23. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

It's pretty simple to see who's been visiting which sites so they don't have to just look at bandwidth usage.

24. mpw Guest

Personally I hope the ISP go through with their threat, and with the support of the legal system exclude these thieves from the internet. I'm talking about those users who's downloads if purchased legally would be worth large sums of money, then once people see this happening they'll think about their own actions more and rid us of the casual thieves too.

25. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Thats called invasion of privacy!!!! Look at today's ruling against news of the world against the F1 boss... judge calls invasion of privacy, its clear that there are laws in the UK against that kind of investigation!

I for one use xbox live alot, rent movies, purchase from itunes, expansion packs for games, demo games and am a freelance web designer with 100s of megs a month on that alone all sorts of legal downloads that push my bandwidth usage high, this is why i pay a lot for my broadband package for high bandwidth usage, if my ISP were to punish me for that i would be pissed.