Netanyahu sticks two fingers up to Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by toontra, Jun 14, 2009.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

Netanyahu has just extinguished the recent hopes for a peace plan brokered by Obama.

The main demand of the US? Stop building new settlements. Netanyahu says no!

He says he could envisage a Palestinian state, but then goes on to stipulate what this would entail - it must have no army, no control of its air space and no way of smuggling in weapons. In other words, enough there to ensure it never actually happens.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8099757.stm

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So when's the aid stopping? And when are the Israeli's accounts overseas going to be frozen?

Hamas was required to accept the existence of a viable Israel and was punished for not doing so explicitly. Israel should be given the same treatment - in fact they've behaved worse as they've explicitly said the Palestinian state has to be un-viable.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes:

Oh Israel, why can't you(and by that I mean Netanyahu) be more reasonable.

Disappointing news,but hopefully he'll come around in the future.

4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

His demands are laughable and he knows it. He'd rather continue expanding the settlements.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The only meaningful and just solution would be a unitary state. Anything else is an inequitable disaster.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have to admit I think you're probably right.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hmmmmn.....I suspect that Netanyahu would agree with you :D

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I very much doubt it.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Let's see, an Israel that incorporates the west bank and gaza? yes, I suspect he would love the the idea. That would allow jews to move back into gaza and further expand their settlements in the west bank....one unitary state would seem to be exactly what the most fanatical of his supporters would like.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think you know perfectly well that is not what I mean or anyone else means by the term "unitary state". An obvious prerequisite is full and equal voting rights for all inhabitants, Arab and Jew.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Except that very soon assuming some sort of democracy the Palestinians would be in the majority even without the return of the millions of refugees.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Yes, it's a nice idea. Too bad the British didn't create such a unitary state back when they controlled Palestine.

I suspect that people on different sides of the issue would view the definition of a "unitary state" quite differently. Both sides seem to be prepared to fight endlessly to make sure it's THEIR version of a unitary state that's imposed. Anyway, I suspect that Netanyahu would tell you that arab israelis already have full and equal voting rights, and indeed, there are arab parties represented in the parliament.

I suppose in your view of a unitary state that of course palestinians would be free to move into what is now israel, and of course there wouldn't be any reason that jews wouldn't use the same freedom to move into areas that are now palestinian......and one only has to look to what happened during the Mandate to see how effectively jews acquired and built settlements in arab areas.......is there really any way that this wouldn't turn into a worse blood bath than the current 2 state, or perhaps more realistically, 3 state division we now have?

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes indeed.......what you mention is central to the argument that israel has a real motivation to create a 2 (or 3) state solution instead of annexing the west bank and gaza