Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings recently discussed what he thinks about the upcoming launch of new rivals Apple TV+ and Disney+, as well as Netflix's plans to retain subscriber interest after their launches (via Variety). According to Hastings, "it's a whole new world starting in November," referring to the November 1 launch of Apple TV+ and November 12 launch of Disney+.

apple-tv-plus-promo-image.jpg

The CEO said that it will be "tough competition" for Netflix, but the company will continue on course with its core strategy of offering bingeable TV shows and movies. This means that Netflix isn't planning on trialing drastically different content types, like Amazon Prime Video is with live sports, or experimenting with different release models.
"While we've been competing with many people in the last decade, it's a whole new world starting in November...between Apple launching and Disney launching, and of course Amazon's ramping up," said Hastings, who also cited NBCUniversal's coming Peacock service. "It'll be tough competition. Direct-to-consumer [customers] will have a lot of choice."
There are now numerous standalone streaming services that vie for customer attention, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Now, the upcoming HBO Max, CBS All Access, the upcoming NBC Peacock, Shudder, and many more.

Apple TV+ will launch November 1 with a handful of exclusive TV shows, including "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," "See," and "For All Mankind." Apple is making the service free for a full year for anyone who purchases an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod Touch, or Mac. Apple TV+ will cost $4.99/month otherwise.

Disney+ will launch November 12 with a huge back catalog of Disney films and tv shows, divided among the company's major brands: Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. To entice early adopters, Disney even offered a sign-up deal that got you three years of the streaming service for the price of two. This brought the price of the service to just under $4/month, compared to its $6.99/month regular price tag.

Amid the emergence of so many new streaming services, Hastings pointed out that production costs for streaming-based TV shows would rise, thanks to companies like Apple and Disney now also purchasing valuable production space in highly sought after areas. According to Hastings, "Someday 'The Crown' will look like a bargain," referring to its popular historical drama series that might not be the most expensive show ever made, but is among the most expensive to be produced by Netflix.

Article Link: Netflix CEO Says Apple TV+ and Disney+ Will Create 'A Whole New World' of 'Tough Competition'

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Disney+ most certainly. I am sure Netflix was expecting the content wave, but never foresaw the unit economics Disney would select to reshape the market. Half the price for better quality?

AppleTV+ maybe 3-5 years from now. If Apple can become the HBO of streaming. (Now that the actual HBO is quickly being wrecked by their parent phone company—HBO Max?—there is an opportunity for a firm with exquisite taste and the money to fund anything. Netflix lacks this taste and their business model is under threat due to Disney+ and too many streaming companies.

Tough place for Netflix to compete from.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I hope folks who want Disney+ got in on that sweet D23 deal where 3 years is the equivalent of one year of Netflix (at my sub rate). If not there are still some deals floating around at a slightly higher price. Looking forward to Nov and The Mandalorian!

Reactions: decypher44

daftpunker909

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I'm definitely signing up for Disney+ (already signed up for the 3 year deal), but AppleTV+ content looks super un-interesting to me and is not swaying me at all. My ideal package is currently Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, and Disney+ for ~$40

I think Disney+ is much bigger competition than AppleTV+ as of now

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Hey Netflix, with these new threats to your business, now would be a really good time to stop imposing unremovable ratings banners, forced-minimisation of content as soon as the credits start and the super-irritating video previews of content when browsing that you can't turn off.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Until they change the rules, cord cutting for me....one service a month average for twelve months. Translation, 12 streaming services a year for an average of $120 yearly. Netflix gets one month of my viewing per year if they have shows I want. If not one of the others will. The down side, will not in most cases be the first on the block to see the new greatest show. Still see it just not first on the block. Works like a charm and easy. Especially easy if one uses a service like Amazon or now Apple Channels. On off a simple click for the major streaming services. ?

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
With all of these streaming services, it’s basically like old TV in a new streaming form. Warner Media or whatever is keeping The Office and Parks and Rec to their licenses, other services have competed for Seinfeld, bid on Friends, Big Bang Theory was just finalized for a billion or something like that.

If people really want to watch all of their favorite shows, it’s becoming so fragmented that you need 3 or 4 company subscriptions to get them all. It’s basically like paying for channel packages of the old days. Starz, HBO, Cinemax etc.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Until they change the rules, cord cutting for me....one service a month average for twelve months. Translation, 12 streaming services a year for an average of $120 yearly. Netflix gets one month of my viewing per year if they have shows I want. If not one of the others will. The down side, will not in most cases be the first on the block to see the new greatest show. Still see it just not first on the block. Works like a charm and easy. Especially easy if one uses a service like Amazon or now Apple Channels. On off a simple click for the major streaming services. ?
Not trolling or being rude, but this sounds like a single person. Don’t have to make choices like this with a significant other at home.

bayelrey80

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings recently discussed what he thinks about the upcoming launch of new rivals Apple TV+ and Disney+, as well as Netflix's plans to retain subscriber interest after their launches (via Variety). According to Hastings, "it's a whole new world starting in November," referring to the November 1 launch of Apple TV+ and November 12 launch of Disney+.

apple-tv-plus-promo-image.jpg

The CEO said that it will be "tough competition" for Netflix, but the company will continue on course with its core strategy of offering bingeable TV shows and movies. This means that Netflix isn't planning on trialing drastically different content types, like Amazon Prime Video is with live sports, or experimenting with different release models.
There are now numerous standalone streaming services that vie for customer attention, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Now, the upcoming HBO Max, CBS All Access, the upcoming NBC Peacock, Shudder, and many more.

Apple TV+ will launch November 1 with a handful of exclusive TV shows, including "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," "See," and "For All Mankind." Apple is making the service free for a full year for anyone who purchases an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod Touch, or Mac. Apple TV+ will cost $4.99/month otherwise.

Disney+ will launch November 12 with a huge back catalog of Disney films and tv shows, divided among the company's major brands: Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. To entice early adopters, Disney even offered a sign-up deal that got you three years of the streaming service for the price of two. This brought the price of the service to just under $4/month, compared to its $6.99/month regular price tag.

Amid the emergence of so many new streaming services, Hastings pointed out that production costs for streaming-based TV shows would rise, thanks to companies like Apple and Disney now also purchasing valuable production space in highly sought after areas. According to Hastings, "Someday 'The Crown' will look like a bargain," referring to its popular historical drama series that might not be the most expensive show ever made, but is among the most expensive to be produced by Netflix.

Article Link: Netflix CEO Says Apple TV+ and Disney+ Will Create 'A Whole New World' of 'Tough Competition'

Netflix is in serious trouble. I'm cancelling Netflix once Disney+ comes out. Disney's content is just to deep and $12.99 for Disney+/Hulu/ESPN? Sign me up!

Apple doesn't have the content now, but they have absurd amounts of money to throw at it. Plus they have the ecosystem, range of services, etc.

Reactions: Agit21

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Subscription fatigue and ISP’s imposing needless Data Caps so that you subscribe to a TV package and use their streaming services vs your own. Net Neutrality 2 where are you?

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I'm definitely signing up for Disney+ (already signed up for the 3 year deal), but AppleTV+ content looks super un-interesting to me and is not swaying me at all. My ideal package is currently Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, and Disney+ for ~$40

I think Disney+ is much bigger competition than AppleTV+ as of now

Is that Disney+ deal still available?

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
This is great. This will only bring higher-quality content.

Although the annoyance and confusion of having several subscriptions is a bummer.
I’ve been using prime video only lately and recently subscribed to Netflix again also and I’m already getting confused trying to remember what shows are on what service ?

matt3526

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
I already cancelled my Netflix subscription; the continual price hikes just aren’t worth it. With the savings from that alone I can give Apple TV+ and Disney+ a try.

By being twice as expensive as everyone else they make the tough competition all by themselves

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
With all of these streaming services, it’s basically like old TV in a new streaming form.
Not really, imo.

There is a big difference due to streaming services do not have commitments, contracts, require rental, and most prices have stayed relatively static. You can cancel and sign back up at will, meaning that you can sign up for one month, binge all your favorite shows, and cancel when you are caught up.

It is nice to have options like these.

Old TV, such as traditional cable, canceling services and signing back up isn't always easy, and many times, you lose discounts on promotional rates for doing so.

Most cable companies require renting slow, big, expensive STBs that has an outdated UI.

I think that all the new streaming services might be overwhelming for some, especially for people that have trouble adapting to something other than tradional cable, I have some family members like this.

But, I think that the new options will give many people the freedom to choose what they want to watch (and not watch!), when they want to watch it, on a device they want to watch it on.

How is this a bad thing?

Reactions: Will.O.Bie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.