Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Does anyone know what form the app will take on the new hardware? The recent versions on the Sony consoles have been great, in that for those of us that watch a lot of TV, as the credits start playing at the end of an episode, it auto-plays the next, missing out the opening garb and 'previously on' sequence, which is a surprisingly killer feature.

The last Apple TV version of the app was pretty scarce in comparison I thought, and would kinda like knowing the score on this one beforehand as Netflix will be one of the primary tasks for the new device. I know Netflix were trying to bring uniformity to their app across all devices, but part of me thinks they may just be lazy and port over the current version.

Has anyone seen it in action yet?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Does anyone know what form the app will take on the new hardware? The recent versions on the Sony consoles have been great, in that for those of us that watch a lot of TV, as the credits start playing at the end of an episode, it auto-plays the next, missing out the opening garb and 'previously on' sequence, which is a surprisingly killer feature.

The last Apple TV version of the app was pretty scarce in comparison I thought, and would kinda like knowing the score on this one beforehand as Netflix will be one of the primary tasks for the new device. I know Netflix were trying to bring uniformity to their app across all devices, but part of me thinks they may just be lazy and port over the current version.

That happens to Netflix on my ATV3 also.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Interestingly, quite a few of us hate this feature, especially as it's not configurable. The "opening garb" and credits are what adds context to the episode. Without it, the experience is diluted. Give us the option!

Another case of the pirate path being superior to the legal. And they wonder why people do it...

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Interestingly, quite a few of us hate this feature, especially as it's not configurable. The "opening garb" and credits are what adds context to the episode. Without it, the experience is diluted. Give us the option!

Another case of the pirate path being superior to the legal. And they wonder why people do it...

I, too, hate the auto play and love opening credits. But yes, for the OP, Netflix on Apple TV has been doing this for a while.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats who have a serious case of 1st world problems. OMG the opening garb is not there of a show I have been BINGE WATCHING.....So even though I know what came before I am so lost without the opening garb.... Oh the humanity!!!

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats who have a serious case of 1st world problems. OMG the opening garb is not there of a show I have been BINGE WATCHING.....So even though I know what came before I am so lost without the opening garb.... Oh the humanity!!!
I think your anger control is far more a first world problem. Get it sorted please.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Anger?!? Serious? Just a little perplexed at what some people find issues with in a world with so many real issues.
It's a discussion board. We're discussing. :)

Why is someone else's opinion an issue, when yours is not?

People like different things. Providing an option lets everyone have what they want.

I live in the 1st World (well rural England, so a close approximation). All my issues will be 1st world to a greater or lesser extent. This is a lesser one. Bringing up an Autistic child is a greater one.

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008

Am I missing something or is this not the same as the "Play next episode automatically" preference on the Netflix website? Changing this stops the next episode playing automatically on the ATV

Reactions: megfilmworks

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Am I missing something or is this not the same as the "Play next episode automatically" preference on the Netflix website? Changing this stops the next episode playing automatically on the ATV
You're probably right. I don't use ATV any more as I use a Mac mini instead.

Original reply was to a poster wanting the Sony feature of shrinking credits/autoplay. All i was suggesting is if this is added, make it an option. :)

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Thank you all.

You are right, an option would be preferable but I tend to binge watch and so appreciate the feature. Currently on the PS3 if you back out before the next episode kicks in, the next time you play an ep it plays it all. In that respect it is kinda optional.

Reactions: page3

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
It's a discussion board. We're discussing. :)

Why is someone else's opinion an issue, when yours is not?

People like different things. Providing an option lets everyone have what they want.

I live in the 1st World (well rural England, so a close approximation). All my issues will be 1st world to a greater or lesser extent. This is a lesser one. Bringing up an Autistic child is a greater one.

The person I first quoted brought up pirating just because they couldn't get the garb at the beginning of a show..... That is some serious "1st world problem" they have. I'm going to steal because I can't have it my way???

C'mon, really?!??

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
The person I first quoted brought up pirating just because they couldn't get the garb at the beginning of a show..... That is some serious "1st world problem" they have. I'm going to steal because I can't have it my way???

C'mon, really?!??
The beginning of a show is sometimes integral to the narrative - i.e. Doctor Who. Quite a few BBC programmes are like that.

The end credits are hard earned by many in the industry.

I mentioned pirating, I didn't condone it. Pirating isn't theft anyway, so please watch who and what you accuse on an open forum.

Make it an option. Not that big of a deal.

Reactions: tonyr6

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The beginning of a show is sometimes integral to the narrative - i.e. Doctor Who. Quite a few BBC programmes are like that.

The end credits are hard earned by many in the industry.

I mentioned pirating, I didn't condone it. Pirating isn't theft anyway, so please watch who and what you accuse on an open forum.

Make it an option. Not that big of a deal.

Excuse me? Pirating is not theft? Wow.... I can't.... Ok I'm done.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
So, serious question. This option is a setting you can turn off and on in your profile setting on the Netflix site. All I've seen it do is skip some of the closing credits. I've not seen it skip any of the intro of the next ep. Not the recap or opening sequence/credits.

Is this only working on certain more-recent series?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Auto play can be turned off from the Netflix website or you could just click on the remote to continue playing the finishing episode to the end.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
So, serious question. This option is a setting you can turn off and on in your profile setting on the Netflix site. All I've seen it do is skip some of the closing credits. I've not seen it skip any of the intro of the next ep. Not the recap or opening sequence/credits.

Is this only working on certain more-recent series?

It cuts out all credits and recaps, at least on the PS3 that I am currently using. It's done it with every series I've watched, including the first series of 24 that I'm currently watching (and yes I'm late to the party on that one lol)

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

I seriously hope (pray) we won't get the confusing UI from iPhone/iPad, PS4, FireTV or Nvidia Shield ATV. I prefer the "scarce" AppleTV UI, because of the root menu allowing you to quickly find what you need instead of scrolling down through endless categories with album art. Even the recently played category seems to be gone.

However.. I fear we'll get the UI from the other platforms... and I hate it.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2015
Damn, as I feared this feature isn't there on the ATV. The option to play the next episode is there when the previous one finishes, but it *doesn't* cut out the opening credits and recaps - gutted :(

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
Damn, as I feared this feature isn't there on the ATV. The option to play the next episode is there when the previous one finishes, but it *doesn't* cut out the opening credits and recaps - gutted :(
Although (as you know) I'm firmly in the "let me use the remote to skip as required" camp, I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the functionality you wanted. It would have been so easy to add it, and make it an option. Simplicity only goes so far. Perhaps you'll get it in the next version, although no doubt it will then be mandatory!

JackWendyDanny

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I seriously hope (pray) we won't get the confusing UI from iPhone/iPad, PS4, FireTV or Nvidia Shield ATV. I prefer the "scarce" AppleTV UI, because of the root menu allowing you to quickly find what you need instead of scrolling down through endless categories with album art. Even the recently played category seems to be gone.

However.. I fear we'll get the UI from the other platforms... and I hate it.

Your fear has been realized. Netflix on the new apple tv is substantially less useful than on my old apple tv - no categories and no suggestions on the info page of each movie/show. Very disappointing. Hopefully this will be rectified in subsequent updates but my fear is that the old usability is a thing of the past.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
How's the interface on the new AppleTV. Is it like the ATV3? Or is it the revamped one seen on Sony?

JackWendyDanny

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
How's the interface on the new AppleTV. Is it like the ATV3? Or is it the revamped one seen on Sony?

Looks like this...
IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0743.JPG

Reactions: DEXTERITY
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.