MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

144156-netflix_apple_tv.jpg

The Hollywood Reporter claims that DVDs-by-mail and streaming service Netflix is set to make its first foray outside the United States tomorrow by announcing that it will bring streaming video content to Canada.
Netflix co-founder and CEO Reed Hastings will be in Toronto Wednesday to launch an online video subscription service that allows Canadians to download their favorite flicks and TV shows for a monthly fee.

Netflix entering the Canadian market, its first foreign expansion, has local video distribution players girding for cutthroat competition as still more Internet content-streaming behemoths like Apple TV and Boxee get set to launch north of the border.
The service will initially be streaming-only, although the DVDs-by-mail service could obviously be added in the future.

Earlier this month, Apple introduced a revamped Apple TV device that supports Netflix streaming, although the device is not scheduled to begin shipping until around the end of this month, with new orders currently seeing shipping estimates of 2-3 weeks. We will likely have to wait until Netflix's official announcement tomorrow for confirmation, but it seems likely that the new Apple TV will support Netflix in Canada as soon as the service launches there.

Article Link: Netflix Set to Launch Streaming Service in Canada as Revamped Apple TV Nears Debut

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Netflix has already announced plans to launch the service in Canada this fall. What we don't have is a date. I guess that's what tomorrow is for, or perhaps tomorrow is the date :D

Comment

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Congrats canadians! Now you'll have netflix to keep you company when you get snowed in. it's wonderful.

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Netflix has already announced plans to launch the service in Canada this fall. What we don't have is a date. I guess that's what tomorrow is for, or perhaps tomorrow is the date :D

I know a beta tester for the service. He says he's seen november as the date for general availability.

You never know though, plans might have been moved up.

Comment

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I know a beta tester for the service. He says he's seen november as the date for general availability.

You never know though, plans might have been moved up.

Thanks, I'm not really expecting it tomorrow, but it would be nice.

Comment

december

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
Toronto
The same week Netflix announced they were bringing their streaming service to Canada Rogers quietly reduced the allotted data usage for most of their internet plans. i believe someone did the math already and that 7 or 8 movies a month would use up all your allowed data.

there are going to be some very disappointed people who will blame Netflix when Rogers' draconian usage policies are the problem. With Comcast a basic plan provides 250GB per month. Rogers is living in the 20th century.

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The same week Netflix announced they were bringing their streaming service to Canada Rogers quietly reduced the allotted data usage for most of their internet plans. i believe someone did the math already and that 7 or 8 movies a month would use up all your allowed data.

there are going to be some very disappointed people who will blame Netflix when Rogers' draconian usage policies are the problem. With Comcast a basic plan provides 250GB per month. Rogers is living in the 20th century.

Videotron's basic plan is 30 GB a month. I'm on a more expensive plan and I only get 100 GB a month.

Canada is ridiculously backwards.

Comment

ottawaapplefan

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009

Yes 7 or 8 movies for the lower range plans its not for all plans.If you have a high range plan you should be able to get 15-20 movies.

Comment

Btrthnezr3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Aaaahhhh well, i'll stick with the Apple TV and 99cents episodes then.

Thanks for the info. :)

Just wondering--why would that make you "stick" with apple tv and not add the benefit of netflix.

Netflix is ad free in the US--if it is for Canada, then you can have tons of programming with no ads and a basic monthly fee (providing that your internet provider allows you the usage)

Comment

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
As soon as Netflix confirmed it's presence into Canada, Blockbuster started offering UNLIMITED movie rentals (this excludes New Releases) for under $10.00. I certainly will be trying out Netflix as it will be great to pay one low price and not have to get the shoes, coat, car keys and drive to & from the video store for DVDs. Simply stream one movie after another without having to go anywhere. Love it. This will also make the market more competitive, which in the end is great news for all of us who enjoy watching more than two movies per week. Convenience and saving money. Two thumbs up!

Comment

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

How much data usage is there for an average Netflix streamed movie ?

Comment

johnfrombeyond

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Don't get hopes up too high

I'm a Netflix subscriber because I think it's worth $10/month for a couple DVD's without driving to/from the store, plus some streaming movies. However, if you've never tried Netflix you may be in for a shocker. Their streaming movie selection is TERRIBLE. Only old movies and TV shows, nothing new. Not at all like their extensive DVD selection. So I think it's worth $10/month, but don't count on Netflix alone replacing your cable until they get better streaming movies (but then the licensing fees will jack the cost way up).

On the other hand, the new Apple TV + Netflix at least lets you rent and pay for new movies and TV shows. Once more networks get on board with the TV rentals, it will definitely cut into cable revenues, as "light" TV watchers will abandon cable in droves.

Comment

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wow, that is great news! Goodbye Blockbuster!!!!

Now I have even more reason to brag to my wife that the ATV was a good entertainment investment!!

Comment

Btrthnezr3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
However, if you've never tried Netflix you may be in for a shocker. Their streaming movie selection is TERRIBLE. Only old movies and TV shows, nothing new. Not at all like their extensive DVD selection.

Umm...you must not look at the list very often.
They put new stuff on there everyday.

And there was just a big deal with some major studios to start releasing streaming content as soon as it is released on dvd. That point alone is epic.

And the discs can be your "backup" for the new stuff--still works and gets there quickly as long as you keep track of what's coming out when. I use both, extensively.

Netflix provides PLENTY of entertainment for 10-15 bucks a month (depending on plan)--I have a $14 a month plan and it has worked out perfect for our 4 member family.

Comment

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Wow and I thought broadband internet service was bad in US. That is horrible :eek: I pay about $40 for unlimited 1/8mb unlimited cable internet. You won't be able to watch netflix streams in HD with your connex.

Thats why I have Teksavvy. 200GB per month with 3/2 up/down for $29.99 a month. Might not be the quickest, but I've always had full speeds and for the price, I can't complain. Can't wait for Netflix.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.