Netherlands Company Introduces Plastic Roads

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
That Are More Durable, Climate Friendly Than Asphalt
The Netherlands is already home to the world’s first solar road (or bike lane, technically). Now, the country could soon be the first to use recycled plastic as pavement.

The idea for plastic roads comes from VolkerWessels, a Netherlands-based construction firm. According to the company, plastic roads would be a “virtually maintenance free product” that’s “unaffected by corrosion and the weather.” The roads could handle temperatures as low as -40°F and as high as 176°F. The company says that this hardiness will make the roads’ lifespans three times as long as typical asphalt roads.

According to the company, any type of recycled plastic can be used. The main goal, the company says, is to keep plastic out of the oceans.
https://thinkprogress.org/netherlands-company-introduces-plastic-roads-that-are-more-durable-climate-friendly-than-asphalt-ecb7c2a11a50

I don't see it happening here :(

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
to
I don't see it happening here :(
There’s no money in durability. We need something that is going to deteriorate in record time, wait until it becomes a crisis, and then tack on an obscene amount of money to repair it. In fact I believe the DOD is doing a feasibility study and how much damage we can cause in the Middle East through paving their roads to American standards.

JMacHack

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2017
"Keeping plastic out of the oceans" my ass. Do they know how much material gets shaved off of roadways, especially heavily busy ones? We'd just be pulling plastic out of recycling bins and putting it in the drinking water, if not dumping it into the ocean even more.

I'm sorry, but this is just another hair-brained scheme like solar roads (which was dumb because it would lose efficiency massively to DIRT). I'd rather not introduce more plastics into the waterways thanks, we have a big enough problem with that as it is.

Reactions: cfedu and arkitect

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
You can run coolant water through that gap in the middle.
Have you ever been to Texas? Distances here are insane. You drive ten hours and you're still pretty much in your neighborhood.
There is absolutely no credit here for those of us that love road trips. You drive, you drive, you drive and you're still here.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
Have you ever been to Texas? Distances here are insane. You drive ten hours and you're still pretty much in your neighborhood.
There is absolutely no credit here for those of us that love road trips. You drive, you drive, you drive and you're still here.
As the old saying goes "The sun has ris, the sun has set, and here I is in Texas yet!"

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I drove across Texas once. It was awful. Texas never stops.

Reactions: yaxomoxay