Netherlands passes law making everyone an organ donor by default

will you donate your organs after you die? (unlimited choice)

• you are a midget, you only count as 1/2.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • none of your midget business

• yes.

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • why are you donating midget? so women can point & giggle at you????

• it's ok midget, your soul will burn in hell.....

• Total voters

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://canoe.com/health/netherlands-passes-law-making-everyone-an-organ-donor-by-default?fbclid=IwAR3ZAIzATzXqBW36UvJxl0KR9-PBt1j_sO5hD6fiovIwBBgqob5e9b2svwc
THE HAGUE, Netherlands — Dutch senators have approved a new law that makes everybody a potential organ donor unless they decide to opt out of the system.

The new system narrowly passed a vote in the upper house of the Dutch parliament Tuesday. The lower house last year passed the legislation with a one-vote majority
as an organ donor I am glad that at least people are able to opt out, but I would prefer it if they opted IN instead of the GOVT deciding what YOU should do with YOUR body.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
https://canoe.com/health/netherlands-passes-law-making-everyone-an-organ-donor-by-default?fbclid=IwAR3ZAIzATzXqBW36UvJxl0KR9-PBt1j_sO5hD6fiovIwBBgqob5e9b2svwc

as an organ donor I am glad that at least people are able to opt out, but I would prefer it if they opted IN instead of the GOVT deciding what YOU should do with YOUR body.
I'm all for it. Once you're dead it isn't like you need it any more. Just a piece of meat at that point. Might as well have it go do some good.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. While I view organ donation as very important, it shouldn't be forced upon a person by the government.

Funny how so many people say about abortion, the government has no right to tell a woman what to do with her body, but yet think this is a great idea.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
Here in Sweden we made a similar change a few years back. The low numbers opting in under the old system were not due to people being opposed to donation, most just didn't get around to opting in. And they're not opting out in any great numbers now either. In the Swedish system, the surviving relatives can veto a donation.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Agreed. While I view organ donation as very important, it shouldn't be forced upon a person by the government.

Funny how so many people say about abortion, the government has no right to tell a woman what to do with her body, but yet think this is a great idea.
It’s not forced. You can opt out :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Here in Sweden we made a similar change a few years back. The low numbers opting in under the old system were not due to people being opposed to donation, most just didn't get around to opting in. And they're not opting out in any great numbers now either. In the Swedish system, the surviving relatives can veto a donation.
This sounds like a good system to me. You can opt out yourself, or your relatives can opt out if they are opposed. That covers everyone who might want a say in what happens to your body after you die.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Nope.

They probably wouldn’t want my organs anyway. They’re my organs to use...just like others on the forum say they don’t buy their devices “for the resale value,” I don’t live life with the intention of giving my organs away.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Maybe the Netherlands has a more trustworthy system, IDK.

But here in America, I would't trust a law making me a organ donor by default.

You know how full of excuses it is here. "Oh, you have to opt out every six months, your son's organ are ours" "Sorry, felons can't opt out" "Hackers exploit system and expose nationwide list of those that opted out" "He owes the govt over $100,000 in taxes, which means his opt out is void" ......... I can go on and on and on.

Reactions: jkcerda

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Maybe the Netherlands has a more trustworthy system, IDK.

But here in America, I would't trust a law making me a organ donor by default.

You know how full of excuses it is here. "Oh, you have to opt out every six months, your son's organ are ours" "Sorry, felons can't opt out" "Hackers exploit system and expose nationwide list of those that opted out" "He owes the govt over $100,000 in taxes, which means his opt out is void" ......... I can go on and on and on.
Agree with you there. Difference being, what exactly will you be using your organs for after you die?

It's one thing if you believe that zombie you will rise from the grave after the apocalypse, but other than that? What use?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Agree with you there. Difference being, what exactly will you be using your organs for after you die?

It's one thing if you believe that zombie you will rise from the grave after the apocalypse, but other than that? What use?
I'm paranoid in the matter of my organs possibly going to someone that doesn't deserve it. I wonder if your kin has a say so in refusing organs to a specific person. But then that would open up a whole new can of worms.

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I'm paranoid in the matter of my organs possibly going to someone that doesn't deserve it. I wonder if your kin has a say so in refusing organs to a specific person. But then that would open up a whole new can of worms.
It is for that reason why i opted not to donate organs upon death because you cannot restrict who your organs go to. There are many people who abuse their body on purpose, drinking, smoking, taking drugs of which i am of the opinion such people do not deserve donated organs.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
what does that even mean? You're already dead. If your organs aren't donated then they just rot. What does deserve have to do with it? You're giving life from your death.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
what does that even mean? You're already dead. If your organs aren't donated then they just rot. What does deserve have to do with it? You're giving life from your death.
PERHAPS the implication is that you may be giving life to say a child molester that may be on the list. a murderer or in the case of liberals imagine if you guys kept trump alive :eek::p

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
PERHAPS the implication is that you may be giving life to say a child molester that may be on the list. a murderer or in the case of liberals imagine if you guys kept trump alive :eek::p
reaching. It seems a practical idea. sorry.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I understand it's reaching, I was just interpreting the post in the most hyperbolic way I could. I am not sure our families will know WHO gets our organs .
why does it matter?. On a personal note, however, my youngest brother passed away from an aneurysm at 27 - almost 10 years ago. He was an organ donor. Obviously, a difficult time for us all - especially my parents. Yet, the cards and notes we got from the recipients of his organs were really quite great and made the ordeal more manageable. So, admittedly, I'm biased on this issue.

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
why does it matter?. On a personal note, however, my youngest brother passed away from an aneurysm at 27 - almost 10 years ago. He was an organ donor. Obviously, a difficult time for us all - especially my parents. Yet, the cards and notes we got from the recipients of his organs were really quite great and made the ordeal more manageable. So, admittedly, I'm biased on this issue.
To me it matters. Yes i know when i am dead, my organs would just rot away and thus i understand the argument of 'if your dead, why does it matter' but to me, i view organ donation as the ultimate gift that one human can give to another, the chance of life again, rather than slowly wasting away in some hospital bed linked up to all sorts of machines trying to keep one alive.

Therefore to me, it's a precious thing and i would want my organs to go to people who are worthy of receiving such a precious gift. The fact that this is not possible and my organs could go to anyone, those worthy and those not so worthy, is why i opted out of organ donation.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
To me it matters. Yes i know when i am dead, my organs would just rot away and thus i understand the argument of 'if your dead, why does it matter' but to me, i view organ donation as the ultimate gift that one human can give to another, the chance of life again, rather than slowly wasting away in some hospital bed linked up to all sorts of machines trying to keep one alive.

Therefore to me, it's a precious thing and i would want my organs to go to people who are worthy of receiving such a precious gift. The fact that this is not possible and my organs could go to anyone, those worthy and those not so worthy, is why i opted out of organ donation.
I have to try not to be rude here - but you are essentially arguing that you'd rather your organs go to waste (ie:rot) than potentially go to someone who might be unworthy, though you would not be able to judge that - as you'd be dead. That seems a little insane, frankly.

laptech

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I have to try not to be rude here - but you are essentially arguing that you'd rather your organs go to waste (ie:rot) than potentially go to someone who might be unworthy, though you would not be able to judge that - as you'd be dead. That seems a little insane, frankly.
By your logic then, as an advocate of organ donation, once a person is dead, doctors can do as they wish with that body because what does is matter, the person is dead, they are not able to judge what happens, right?

That is just as insane as what your implying about me.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
By your logic then, as an advocate of organ donation, once a person is dead, doctors can do as they wish with that body because what does is matter, the person is dead, they are not able to judge what happens, right?

That is just as insane as what your implying about me.
In this case, just within the law that this thread is about.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

What you are asking for is the power to decide who is worthy or unworthy to live or die. Personally, I don't feel worthy enough to make such a decision. I'd be afraid that if I were sick and waiting for an organ, someone would judge me unworthy to receive their organ.