Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

08mxkfx

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I see in the instructions it says how to set up your mac. Could i use this with a PC? If so how would i go about making it work?

OK I give...

I'm downloading it now... haha.

Here's hoping a better one doesn't come out later, or that at&t tries to scew us over... AGAIN!! :p

edit: download complete!! :D Although I had thought before that you needed to download on wifi?? Maybe that is just itunes? I dunno, well it worked on 3g!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
AT&T said:
The parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service.

So it violates your agreement with AT&T if you tether your phone without having purchased a tethering plan. And even if you have a plan, if you go over 5 gigs, you're going to be charged. Here I was thinking "unlimited" meant unlimited, not 5 gigs. ><

But yeah, they probably won't find out if you tether unless you use it to download ridiculous amounts of data. There's stories of people that do it all the time and never get caught.

This part seems interesting. I would think that AT&T won't say much if you're occasionally checking email/surfing the web and maybe use up to 1GB per month without a tethering plan, but I wouldn't be willing to push it too much without knowing for sure. Couldn't afford it if I had to pay thousands.

Also, the bold text makes me think there's some kind of warning before imposing any additional fees.

urrl78

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Now all we need is some do-gooder blabbing to AT&T.

Is this working for anyone? Please tell me so I can take off my jailbreak...:D

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'm sure I don't use more than 5GB of data via email attachments and web surfing...not too worried. Plus i'm only grabbing this for emergency use.

Further, it clearly states that if you DO exceed this 5 GB limit you will be notified that you will incur additional fees and you'd be able to cancel your service at that time. Why is everyone so scared to download this app?

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Does anyone know if this would work with a Windows machine ? Just wondering if my work laptop would connect via this method ?

dflem713

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Genius

I searched Netshare on my iPhone and found it right away.
Anybody else noticed that the people that posted the tutorial aren't as bright as they think they are because it gives you step by step instructions how to set it up on the app?

urrl78

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Who cares HOW you use your bandwidth as long as you don't go over your allotted 5 GIG? What should it matter to AT&T if they are allowing you up to 5 gig in the first place? Makes no sense at all to me. Makes more sense if the tethering is legal. The 5 Gig rule still stands.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Assuming they haven't changed the terms and conditions since agreeing to the initial contract, tethering is specifically off-limits: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/iphone-terms.jsp (just search for "tether")

However, with Apple apparently giving their blessing to this software, it either means that an exception is in effect -- or that Apple is going to find itself in a somewhat uncomfortable situation. Any lawyers in here who can give some insight as to whether the customer can be punished in a situation like this?

Here's what AT&T says :

UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE.

That implies a person cant stream music on the iphone either..
I'm guessing the rules have changed otherwise Pandora and AOL Radio would be against the rules too.

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
I bought the app..

But before doing anything questionable with it (and before using it with any regularity), I will wait until AT&T and Apple respond to this, as I'm sure they will.

We should definitely have access to tethering, it's retarded that we're restricted.

I installed and tested it however, with Safari, Firefox & Adium.. and it worked well. Unable to use mail, WoW or MobileMe Sync (and probably a slurry of other internet functions).

The simple fact is, for emergency laptop internet, this is great, and well worth the $10.

The question is.. when would you actually need it :p

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I can see me needing this in the future... maybe.

But the problem is, ever since i got my iPhone last August (and now the 3g), I've found less and less need to take a laptop on trips. The iPhone does most things I need to do on the road and is a lot smaller.

So do I plop down $10 now in case i might need to use it in the future or just wait and see what happens.

At the moment, I'm tempted to wait.

uncleSmurf

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
It's not letting me buy the app? it says make sure ssl 3.0 and tsl 1.0 are checked in internet options? That makes no sense.

Paix247

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2006
Minneapolis
As would the you tube app... :rolleyes:

Here's what AT&T says :

UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING OF VIDEO CONTENT (E.G. MOVIES, TV), MUSIC OR GAMES. FURTHERMORE, UNLIMITED PLANS (EXCEPT FOR DATACONNECT AND BLACKBERRY TETHERED) CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY APPLICATIONS THAT TETHER THE DEVICE (THROUGH USE OF, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CONNECTION KITS, OTHER PHONE/PDA-TO-COMPUTER ACCESSORIES, BLUETOOTH® OR ANY OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY) TO LAPTOPS, PCS, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT FOR ANY PURPOSE.

That implies a person cant stream music on the iphone either..
I'm guessing the rules have changed otherwise Pandora and AOL Radio would be against the rules too.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Originally Posted by AT&T
The parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service.

Soo.. did anyone else read that as "use more than 5GB of data and you can get out of your contract? :D ;)

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Tethering, cool!

I downloaded from iTunes syncing now with iPhone. Too bad it takes SO LONG to backup the phone during the sync. Here's to hoping Apple will soon address the buggy 2.0 firmware and iTunes 7.7 issues. 1.1.4 was much more stable.

Berzerker

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
It isn't working for me...I configured it correctly on both my MBP, putting 192.168.10.2 and the socks proxy as 192.168.10.1:1080 and the wi-fi as static with 192.168.10.1...but it won't work...and I even see soe Connections for a while, but then it drops out to 0. What's wrong?

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I bought it, used it, and it works fine. I'll probably use it in a bin in the future.

The odd thing is that the iPhone makes mail and web surfing so easy and nice already that it would really have to be a special situation for me to go thru the process of using the tether. It was so much more valuable when phones were crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.