Network Selection takes FOREVER!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scrob, Feb 22, 2012.

1. scrob macrumors member

Both me and my dad have iPhone 4s and we both have the same irritating problem. When we switch OFF automatic network selection, it can take literally 5 - 10 minutes for the iPhone to list the available networks below. Because we live on the border between Ireland/N.Ireland, we cannot keep our phones on Automatic as it means we end up roaming networks.

I have just restarted my phone (holding in both buttons), turned off Automatic and searched for new networks and it found a list of available networks within about 15 seconds?

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Sounds normal to me. Its going to search for available networks and then give you the entire list of whats available.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would assume that you're talking about WiFi networks, and I wouldn't think that you could "roam" on unknown networks.

4. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

No hes talking about cell networks people in the US have this issue as well where they live close to the canadian/mexican border and sometimes roam on those countries networks

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Ah. Yeah that makes sense. I actually ran into this issue when I visited South Bass Island(Also known as Put-In Bay) on Lake Erie. I kept roaming on Bell, Rogers, and Telus. Good thing I had data roaming off.

6. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yeah I had this issue up at Niagra I was on the US side but kept going onto Bell So I just selected AT&T and called it a day

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've found that this is much slower and more unreliable ever since the earliest iOS 5.0 betas.