Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I think I have found something that, to me, is harder to do on the Mac than on my PCs of time gone. Which means, I'm sure, that I've just not found the Mac way of doing something.

Essentially I want to move my music off my main machine onto another old Mac running Panther so that I can then "access" this shared resource over the network, i.e. from Machine A connect to machine b/music files/*. How do I do this "automatically" (i.e. authenticate the user and "log in".

The other machine is not seen in the "network" setting when I browse to it and turning on things like sharing didn't seem to reveal it correctly. I want to make sure that "user a" can log into two machines in the "user a" space a bit like mounting a samba share in the PC/Linux world.

Maybe I need to buy an old copy of OS X 10.2 server. These seem to be available quite cheaply now.

Apologies if I have not got the terms over correctly.

Thanks..

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
an alternative way would be once you have found a way of gettign the files from your comp to the other is to put itunes on and enable sharing in the preferences, it always appears to work. simple yet efective!

i also am finding the networking site of mac hard so you are not the only one!

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Simplest is using the Rendezvous built into iTunes, just open the ports if you're running the firewall.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I think there's a pretty good networking guide in here somewhere - search the forums section for 'networking'. It's written by the member 'edesign' and will hopefully tell you all you neeed to know.

Edit - but come to think of it, that's about networking with windows machines :-(

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Have you enabled 'personal file sharing' in the sharing pane of the system preferences? If you enable this, and both computers are on the same network, they should appear in the network tab.....

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
I already share to my laptop with RV and Itunes but the "problem" in putting the main Itunes library on this spare machine is that I then have to go into the loft to add or edit anything since Itunes doesn't allow authorised remote editing.. and buying Apple Remote Desktop is a little overkill.

I didn't try personal file sharing because it seems I have to use a public folder, rather than my own structures, but I will read up more on it.

"Click Start to give users of other computers access to Public folders on this computer."

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
The public folders are your user folders by default, so that you can log into the computer and access the music files. If you have admin privileges, you can also log into the whole computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.