Nevada Caucus Today

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric55lv, Jan 19, 2008.

1. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Here in Nevada we are holding a caucus today and so far it ok What do you think about it?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think every state should do it on the same day to get the most accurate results. I also think a caucus is the stupidest way to vote.:eek:

3. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv

I guess all it needs is some moderinzation

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Everyone should be able to vote for themselves who they want to win, it is the only fair way.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You mean like an election?

I think the most sense would be to eliminate the caucus/primary system and have a large general election tournament/elimination rounds. Use the first round to whittle the field down to the top 4 or so contenders, then one with the top two. If in any round one candidate runs away with over 50% of the vote we can call it quits there since even if all the remaining votes went to the opponents in the next round he/she would still win with more than 50% of the votes.

The whole caucus/primary crap just mocks the system by giving preference to certain states who establish "front runners" that influences the following states by giving an aura of "winner" to the front runners in the early primaries.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It would also be a great idea to get the media polling out of it, all it does is mess up the numbers. Keep everything quite until after the vote. Don't tell me who has a lead before we even vote. Do it all on one day and then we know who is the clear winner all at once without a chance of voter bias.

7. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Seems Romney and Clinton will win it.

And Ron Paul second, surprise for me.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats how I see it, the candidates who have the backing of the party meaning $$$. Welcome to the the new boss. same as the old boss.

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I would have been surprised if Romney had not won it. Nevada sits next to Utah and has a large, influential Mormon population. However, I was expecting to see McCain do better, at least make a contest out of it. His home state of Arizona is also next door. I figured that would get him the 'white trailer trash' vote. Ron Paul is appealing to at least one group. I am not supporting any GOP candidate, so I have not really given his platform a great deal of in-depth study. What I have sensed is a strong libertarian bias, but inconsistent in some important areas, like being pro-life. He does not speak any more about religion than he has to, but I suspect he is going to be sympathetic to the christian right's cause(s).

Speaking of the christian vote, did you notice Huckabee's dismal showing?

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I actually think that Hillary got it right when she said that caucuses disenfranchise lots of people. If you are out of state, or working, or something else that doesn't allow you to go to the caucus, you are basically screwed.

11. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

yep hillary got it with 51%. 45% for obama and 4% for edwards :eek:
    ron pual got second because none of the other repubs campaigned there.
    looks like the race is going to be romney vs hillary..... we can all be sure hillary will stomp him into the dirt.

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Ummm...what?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm scared. This is number 2 for Hillary. I can't in good conscience vote for her in the general election. I'm amazingly saddened by the outcome today.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I read that due to the weird way Nevada allocates delegates, Obama got 13 and Clinton got 12. So I wouldn't worry just yet. Thank you Nevada for your back-assward ways :D

I want Obama to win, but I really don't think it will be the end of the world if Clinton becomes president like some people think. Looking at the past 8 years, I think a mentally challenged chimpanzee would be a nice change.

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My concern isn't with what type of president Clinton would be. My concern is with wether or not she could become president. Any other Democrat could easily breeze into office against any of the leading Republicans. But Hillary is such a polarizing figure. Some people who would otherwise vote Democrat, like lee, would abstain from voting (though I hope that he will still go vote for ballot issues rather than stay home if Hillary does end up getting the nomination) for her. And there is such a large segment of Republicans (almost all) who absolutely hate her, and would vote for any Republican just to vote against her.

If the race comes down to McCain vs. Hillary, I have a hard time imagining she could win. And I also have a hard time imagining that she will have an easy victory against the other Republican candidates too.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

perhaps he was referring to peckerwoods and crackers??

the Dems are way too confident they're going to win this one

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. McCain would win easily. I don't even think it would be close.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't think they're overconfident. The outrage at the current administration is almost universal through independent voters, and even the religious conservative base isn't too happy and many may opt to stay home if anyone but Clinton is running.

Clinton is such a divisive figure that many independents, despite their outrage at the current administration, will either vote for the GOP or not vote at all in an effort to keep her out of office, along with many who wouldn't vote if the Dems candidate was Clinton. Clinton does more to help the GOP's chances of winning than any other Dem.

19. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Actually, Obama technically won. Look at the delegate count..
    Nevada Results

Obama - 13
    Clinton - 12.

Hillary won the popular vote, but Obama won the most important part... the delegates. So technically, all the major news stations are reporting it wrong. Obama won Nevada.

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

We know by now who the media-darling is, though. So they'll twist it to work in her favor.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In theory can't the delegates change their vote if they choose come the convention. It would be nice to have an actual convention this year with everyone fighting for votes. In years past it has all been decided months ahead of time.

22. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

That is true; however, don't forget that there are superdelegates in the democrat system. Most of the superdelegates supports Clinton but they will not vote for Clinton if Obama had a clear majority. However, if Clinton wins the popular vote but loose out on the number of pledged delegates or if she tie with Obama, it is likely that the superdelegates will voter for her.

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Dammit! I could have sworn that Obama was the media darling not two weeks ago, but now you're telling me that Hillary is really the one? This primary things moves way to fast for me...

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Media-Darling? I seriously doubt that. She is constantly attacked, even from those in her own party.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

another vote for hillary NOT being the media darling.....wherever did you get that idea?