Never ever buy an iPhone when the new one is on the horizon, always get it at launch!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 8, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

First and foremost, if you're on a family plan, make the person who most wants to upgrade regularly the primary line. They will be able upgrade once every year with a full subsidy as long as they always get the new iPhone at launch.

When I first got an iPhone, my contract ended in January. I could have opted for the iPhone 3G. But I knew there was definately going to be a new one in 5 months, so I waited patiently making due with a dumb phone for 5 months. The best decision I could've made.

I got to get a 3GS at launch with a full subsidy. I get to get the new iPhone 4 at launch with a full subsidy. And I will probably get to get the 2011 iPhone with it's 4.3 inch Super AMOLED screen, an even bigger battery, 512 mb of ram, a 4G antenna, dual core processor, 1080p video recording, Bluetooth 3.0, HDMI Out, Dual Speakers, IR, RFID, HD FM Radio and Pedometer like the iPod nano, 8 megapixel camera with dual xenon flash and a shutter and 64 gb hdd at launch as well.

There's so many of my friends who wanted an iPhone, who I told to wait a few extra months, but impatiently decided to get the 3G, or the 3GS in Feb or so, and have been screwed over by new iPhone releases ever since.

Basically, I'm saying, if you can't get the new iPhone at launch, don't get one. Wait for next years model and get that at launch. It will be even better, I promise. And odds are, it will available on Verizon too. So unlike those of us getting the iPhone 4 who will be stuck with AT&T for two more years, you guys will probably be able to get the best service provider for your area and still get the iPhone.

If you absolutely must have the iPhone 4, don't wait till January or Feb (whenever you are out of contract) to get it. At that point you are far better off just waiting for the iPhone 5. So if you want it, get it now at launch, and sell your current iPhone on craigslist or ebay to make up the difference in price.

As far as AT&T coverage is concerned. In my experience, if you live in New York or other very densely populated areas, the service is horrible (probably because there's such a high concentration of iPhone users using up data and tying up the cell towers like crazy). However, if you happen to live anywhere else, without a high population, odds are, as long as 3G encompasses those areas, your coverage will be just fine.

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

3. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

what makes you think iPhone 5 woud have a 4.3 inch screen? it would make the phone too big. I expect a 3.7

4. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

3.5" to 3.7". That's basically zero incentive to upgrade. And it will still be light years behind the screen sizes that phones like the Evo 4G offer.

4.0" will be the absolute bare minimum that the iPhone 5 will have. Bookmark this thread and watch.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Who says they were screwed over?

they wanted/needed an iPhone and made an informed decision, knowing full well that a newer better phone was coming around the corner.

6. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

They said they were screwed over. Their words, not mine.

Lots of people think it's not worth waiting four-five months when they are doing the purchasing.

But then, every time the new iPhone comes out, they are incredibly envious and angry about all the people getting the new one while they're still stuck with the old model.

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

At least Apple is consistent, and their schedule is out there for anyone that wants to inform themselves. +1 for that.

8. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Thanks Captin Obvious

Did the boy wonder: Common Sense help too?

ah i'm just kidding, some people like to wait a few months cause there could be bugs and/or glitches in the phone that might cause problems for some

9. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

If it was so obvious, there wouldn't be so many people complaining about it right now all over this forum. :p

In response to your edit: That's a really stupid reason to wait (worrying about bugs and glitches). Apple field tests their phones for months, and bugs can happen regardless of when you get the phone. But more importantly, Apple has excellent customer service. If there is any sort of bug at all, they will fix it. Not getting an iPhone at launch means that you will be screwed out of the next year's iPhone as well.

10. StewieEatWorld macrumors member

Don't suppose I can have a shot of your De Lorean to see these specs for myself? ;)

11. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

But depending on their monthly bill, the average person who pays $100 and up get their 2 year contract reduced to 18 months, 6 months available for people who desire to wait an extra few months

Obviously Apple tests their products but anything can happen to a newly released phone. Example: say the iOS 4 makes a certain feature go wrong on the iPhone 4, this will require an updated firmware than can take atleast a week
    Or say the iPhone 4 is crashing, not working right, or anything. You can simply go to an Apple Store and request a replacement but then again, at the time they are in very high demand the the person could wait for weeks before he can get his iPhone 4

I can go on, but getting the new iPhone a bit later isn't a bad issue for some, it is considered a good idea

12. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

I could have sworn I read this thread last year

13. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Sorry dude, I can't let anyone else touch it. The last time I loaned it out, WWII happened, and I got grounded for a week. :(

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well not to sound too harsh, if you told them to hold off, its their own fault. Its not like apple never released an iPhone in June before. It is one of the worst kept secrets.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The average iPhone user is upgrade eligible at 18 months. If your bill is $99 or mor before taxes and fees you are on a 12 month upgrade time-table. There were people that AT&T pushed forward their upgrade eligibility to prevent the backlash and crying from last year.

16. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Yeah I know it's their own fault for not waiting.

I just figured I would warn others here. Buy Apple products at launch or very close to launch, especially if you are the primary line on your family plan account. Always.

17. chembox macrumors 6502a

Speculation, speculation, speculation... :rolleyes:

18. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Good advice. Think I'll just hold out until the 2014 iPhone to be safe.

19. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Oooh, bad choice.

2015 is a KILLER upgrade. Haptic Feedback. Virtual Reality. Holographic 3D Video Calling. It taking sexting to a whole new level!

20. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

kinda like the yellow screen issue that was cleared up in a later production cycle?....and based on what I know about subsidy if you buy a iphone every year at release YOU are getting screwed becuase you're not getting the FULL discount...you're paying MORE than someone who is out of their contract

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Hmm, really? Some of us get a full discount every year.

22. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle