Never thought id say this but this phone is pissing me off!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac17, Aug 19, 2008.

1. mac17 macrumors regular

so I FINALLY got my iphone, i plug it in to sync 3 hours later its ready... Im happily using it then I decide to download an app on the phone, it starts installing then gets stuck I left it for 10 mins...nothing so I turn it off and on again it wont get past the apple logo... so I put it into recovery mode and start over 3+ hours later its ready again. Next morning I see I got an app update click on it, it starts downloading, while im waiting I click on settings...nothing but a background, the settings wont appear Im waiting thinking its just a little lag... then my phone shuts off and guess what? it wont get past that stupid apple logo..again its driving me nuts!

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

3. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

nope im using a year old mbp!

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Have you upgraded the phone to 2.0.2?

I would advised that when downloading and upgrading apps its best to do most of that in iTunes, while that sounds like thats counterproductive (since the idea is to do this over the air) it seems that the iPhone is still a bit buggy in this area and ever since I've followed this method I have had no problems.

Sorry to hear your having problems, having bought the iPhone myself you just want to go out and use it, not have to wait for it to settle in. :D

5. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

its upgraded to 2.02, Yeh I figured as much Im going to stop downloading apps on the phone :(
    and yeh exactly I just want to use it already! I spent more time syncing it then using it!

6. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

Trust me i have learned the hard way...

do your self a favor and when installing an app through your phone... leave it alone.... dont go to any other apps.

i had the same problems you have...

and get rid of alot of apps you dont use it makes the phone more stable

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I'll second that.

Action like that can make the iPhone go into a panic thus crashing itself.

8. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

well I currently do have allot of apps because Im just testing to see which I want to keep, its just weird how a jailbroken iphone was more stable then this, there was never a problem it downloaded and installed apps much faster and I literally had hundreds of apps with no problem on my old iphone.

9. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

Yea happened to me too. But I still download the apps on the phone. Just let it install. It takes a lot of time sometimes, but just let it do its work, NEVER turn it off or restart it while it is doing it. I learned that the hard way.

As for the long sync, just press the (x) box when it is backing up to bypass it. Will save all the time.

10. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha mac17,

A jailbroken phone with what firmware? It is my opinion that 2.0.1 caused some rather severe issues, and that 2.0.2 coming so soon is evidence that Apple realized that and released their fix.

Here's what I did after having to restore my iPhone 5 times last week (do everything from within iTunes):

1. Delete all apps from your iPhone (by deselecting them individually in the Applications tab of iTunes).

2. Unplug your iPhone and plug it back in. This will cause another backup to be taken, but this one is like a "stock" backup - ie., no apps.

3. Next, all all your apps by selecting them in the Applications tab and repeat step 2 (this was create a backup of the initial state of your applications and may take up to 20 minutes or so, depending on the number of apps installed).

4. Now, every time you sync your iPhone, your backups should only take around 2 minutes, as these are just incremental backups (once again depending on the number and size of the apps you've installed). Additionally, your iPhone will be rock solid and you may even get better battery life - I did.

The main issue is the firmware. The earlier firmware builds we've all used have been much more stable than 2.0.1 - even 2.0 was more stable than 2.0.1, and 2.0.2 was released partially to address 2.0.1 issues, at least IMHO.

HawaiiMacAddict