Never thought it would come to this, but I'm not very interested in my iPhone anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I just realized that I hardly think about or use my iPhone anymore. I barely look at it throughout the day now-a-days and I'm really only using it for calling or texting. I guess I'm finally getting over my iPhone addiction. For about 2 years, I've been following the iPhone and iPod touch scene with jailbreaking, apps and pretty much anything that can be done on this little handheld device.

Now-a-days, I can't even begin to keep up with all the new apps added to the App Store. I'm finding it harder and harder to be interested in my iPhone. I'm sort of over the App Store... all I ever find there is crap.

I'm not that into handheld gaming, so I usually pass on those.

Luckily, I'm not in a contract right now and I'm only using my iPhone as an AT&T go-phone. I don't have data anymore (by choice because I wasn't using data very much and it seemed like a waste of money to me). There's literally only been a couple of times where I've been in public and NEEDED data on my iPhone and couldn't find wifi.

So in conclusion, I think I might just be finally over my iPhone obsession and it's all getting stale. In the past few weeks, I've barely even noticed that I have an iPhone. I mean, obviously I know it's there, but most of the time I forget about it and go along with my daily life.

The reason for this thread is that my girlfriend was over for the weekend and I've made her mad in the past by looking at my iPhone too much and stuff like that (she has one too and she uses it a lot so she shouldn't have the right to get mad, but she's a woman and so she has the right). Anyways... after she left... I realized that the last time I text'd anyone was to her and it was just before she got here. So that means I basically didn't use my iPhone for anything more than a clock for the entire weekend and I don't think that's ever happened before. Heck, I didn't even CHARGE IT.

Is anyone else's obsession dying down by now? I think I might be ready to move on.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I don't feel the same way others do about you, but I don't really think posting this was the greatest of ideas.

I never was really obsessed with the thing, but unlike you, my primary use is mobile web surfing/e-mail.

I'm glad you and your girlfriend are doing better...but here comes the mob...

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
I'm glad you and your girlfriend are doing better...but here comes the mob...
I wasnt sure if I should bring a pitchfork or a torch...

@Spaz, to keep this OT, I dont get obsessed about an electronic device, so my absent obsession with the iPhone has not diminished because dividing zero is still zero...

MetalAZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
I'm the same way with some of the things you said. I do still use it frequently throughout the day (web browser and apps), but I don't pay much attention to the app store any more. I rarely ever browse for apps and really couldn't even tell you what's been released lately. That part was exciting, but isn't any more, but I know I'd miss it if I went to another phone.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Jailbreaking keep me interested.

When I bought the 3Gs during the time there wasn't a jailbreak, I became uninterested. I switched back to my jailbroken 3G until the 3Gs was jailbroken.

To be honest I use the iphone to check email, facebook, check news/sports an some surfing. I do think the iphone is one of the worst "phone"s I have owned.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I wasnt sure if I should bring a pitchfork or a torch...

@Spaz, to keep this OT, I dont get obsessed about an electronic device, so my absent obsession with the iPhone has not diminished because dividing zero is still zero...
You're a lucky person. For as long as I can remember, I've been an Apple Fan Boy. I used to go around telling everyone to buy a Mac, but now-a-days I don't even bother. Sometimes it slips out and I accidentally mention that I have a Mac and if they make fun of me, I just say "I like it, so whatever". That's all that matters.

Anyways, I got quickly addicted to the touch screen when I first got my iPod touch. I really loved hacking it and installing jailbroken apps on it (Firmware 1.1.1) and I loved customizing it and just being able to use it for just about anything. Now it's like "Meh, who cares". I guess the coolness factor is wearing off.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
On the first day of Christmas, my true love sent to me

a posting from The Spaz...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Another thread about TheSpaz being dissatisfied with his iPhone. Quelle suprise.
Hey now. I never said I wasn't satisfied with it. I just found better things to do than to spend all of my time using my phone. It's becoming more of a regular phone for me instead of a shiny new gadget. After having it for so long, it becomes less important.

I'm happy that I'm not paying for data anymore... that was a really great move for me.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I still use it at least 3 hours a day as an iPod or web browser( unless I'm on vacation), not many apps.. It isn't a simple phone for me, yet, probably never will.. Have had an iPhone for only an year and a half though.. Didn't have a 2g

nonocei

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My obsession has died down a lot over the years as well. I'm not really crazy about apps anymore. When it first came out I was into jailbreaking and trying new features and apps. I'll just use the ipod and occasionally safari now, that's about it.

It's just a nice mobile phone to me too now. I don't think i'll get another phone since I like iphone os, although the htc hd2 is seriously nice...

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008
"never thought it would come to this"

"ready to move on"

so much drama. seriously. reading that post was like reading about a middle-aged man who has realised the woman he married is not the love of his life, he's grown tired of her. it's just a smart phone. does it serve its purpose as a phone? yes, you text your girlfriend with it. why does it matter that you don't obsess about it every waking hour? that, to me, is surely a good thing. there are far more important things in life than the iphone.

damn it, i knew i shouldn't have clicked on this thread. deja vu.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Hey now. I never said I wasn't satisfied with it. I just found better things to do than to spend all of my time using my phone. It's becoming more of a regular phone for me instead of a shiny new gadget. After having it for so long, it becomes less important.

I'm happy that I'm not paying for data anymore... that was a really great move for me.
I'm surprised it took two years for the effect to wear off. The "shiny new gadget" thing wore off a few months after I got it. I like my iPhone, but I use it primarily as a phone. I use it without a case, and I drop it all the time. It is what it is.

Regarding your distaste for spreading the Apple gospel lately -- it was probably a phase. When I was younger, I was into that. These days, I simply could care less.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I'm surprised it took two years for the effect to wear off. The "shiny new gadget" thing wore off a few months after I got it. I like my iPhone, but I use it primarily as a phone. I use it without a case, and I drop it all the time. It is what it is.

Regarding your distaste for spreading the Apple gospel lately -- it was probably a phase. When I was younger, I was into that. These days, I simply could care less.
Yeah, I agree. It must've been a phase.

Anyways, yeah... that's the reason why I had to get out of my contract. I was tired of paying so much for what I wasn't using. I had really crappy luck with buying an iPhone 3GS that I liked, so I returned it. If it wasn't for my bad luck with the 3GS, I would still be in a contract today. Fact is... I just wasn't using my iPhone all that much so it seemed ridiculous to be paying so much for it.

In fact... I think the only reason I was using the internet on it was to check this website. I was using the internet on my iPhone to feed my obsession with the iPhone by reading about the iPhone. It's a crazy loop.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
I still love my iPhone. I mainly use it as an iPod or to text nowadays though. I can't believe how much money I spent in the App Store over the past year and a half. It's quite ridiculous. I don't think my iPhone addiction is over because I love the widescreen iPod so much, but I'm definitely getting over the App Store...because to be honest all there ever is on there is crap anymore. I have maybe one or two games that I love and it would be hard to give up those but I could probably manage. It's just nice to have a data plan if you get lost while driving or something, it's helped me out before. As this long post comes to an end, I think I'm over the App Store...just not the iPhone.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
it took two years because he's been changing iPhones, going through the edge model, the 3g, probably the 3gS, at least one iPod touch, he even bought a Macbook trying to realize if he wanted an iPod or an iPhone. I'm pretty sure he'll get the next iPod touch and the next iPhone, especially if he wants to sell the ones he has now, he's also be back to the iPhone once a new firmware is out. I'm not trying to offend theSpaz, these are just facts:)

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Let's see how he feels about his girlfriend in a year or two. You're talking about a phone, it is a tool to most and a toy to others. It is meant to be used for communication whether it's voice, email or text and entertainment. Too bad some see it as a status symbol that they tire of and then find another object to obsess over. What kind of car do you drive? I'm just sayin'

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I forgot my rocks for the stoning, may I borrow someone's?
Wolf nipple chips! Get em' while they're hot!
"Going to be a hell of a stoning today!"

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I will agree that the app store can be quite tedious. I'm not interested in games either, so sifting through all that crap can be time consuming. There are good apps out there but your really need to no what your looking for. Personally I feel that gaming apps should be completely separated from other apps, so professionals can find what they are looking for with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.