Never touched an iPhone until today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TickleMyPickle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I am new to America. You can say I've been pretty isolated from the outside world lol. Anyway my girlfriend finally convinced me to get one. I have never even had a cell phone yet alone used one. She uses that samsung 4 phone and I tried that out and it might as well have been in another language. I don't know what I was doing but nothing wanted to work. The AT&T rep said sometimes the main hand moving feature takes a few times to work properly. This wasn't really something I wanted to spend money on something that doesn't always work. She said this i phone 4 z I think would be perfect for me and its 4 g. I don't know what this means. They said its fast internet. Keep in mind, I haven't used the regular internet much.

I then decided on i phone 4 z 16 mb I think. I fell right in love with this i phone. They opened it and I played with it. The software kinda seems like it is stupid proof. Everything was so clear. I think I figured out how to unlock? the device after hitting the power button. But I really like how phone looks with everything. This i phone feels perfect to hold and feels like one of the best products ever invented. Just have a couple of questions from you nice i phone experts.

1. What do the red numbers on icons mean? On setting icon there is one that says the number 1. I'm afraid to mess anything up becasue I like it just the way it is now.

2. Do i need the computer program tunes for this i phone ?

3. at&t explained the data part but I am unsure if I'm going to go over. It doesn't tell me how many miga bites I'm using.

4. I can't seem to find a speed dial setting? My house phone has this and I like using it. Does this i phone have this?

I got this i phone for fun and stuff but i don't even no where to begin.

Thank you my fellow i phone users.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
1. The number means that app is or did tell you something. Settings is telling you you have a software update. Do me a favor go to setting hit general about and scroll down until you see version tell me what that one says so I can do some more explaining.
2. No I never plug my phone into iTunes. Really all it does is make headaches. I don't recommend using the computer iTunes.
3. Call *3282# and you will get a text form At&t about your data and text.
4. If you open the phone app hit the thing that says favorites on the bottom left that's your speed dial. To add people hit the + in the top right corner
If you want fun just go to the App Store and get some apps.

TickleMyPickle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Thank you the doctor 11 for your kind response. It says ios 6.1.2. What does that mean?

Thank you for the information on tunes for the computer. I won't use it.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Thank you the doctor 11 for your kind response. It says ios 6.1.2. What does that mean?

Thank you for the information on tunes for the computer. I won't use it.
Ok so your using an old operating system that's what your phone uses for everything. If you want the 1 on setting to go away you need to update but be it will look very different but you will also get new features like if you swipe up from the bottom of the screen you will get some settings.

Attachments

TickleMyPickle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Thank you very much for your information. I have slightly gotten use to the current look of my phone. I do not really like that new version 7 look. Do I have to get that on my phone or can I leave it as it is?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Thank you very much for your information. I have slightly gotten use to the current look of my phone. I do not really like that new version 7 look. Do I have to get that on my phone or can I leave it as it is?
You can stay with what you have and there's nothing wrong with that. But if you do ever what to update go setting general and software update. But it will take a while because your phone needs to restart so you might want to do it when you go to bed. Enjoy your phone:D if you have any other questions please ask them on this website I will be happy to answer them.

TickleMyPickle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Why you guys make fun of me? I just asked a couple of questions. I am very happy with my phone and I like this country. Maybe I will not post anymore since you all make fun of me.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Tickle, congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new phone. Try not to be offended by the people who are not helpful. It might be better to find someone who can help you in person than here. So much to learn.

----------

Shame on all of you who choose to make fun of his well thought out questions as a new user.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Maybe I will not post anymore since you all make fun of me.

In American, we make fun of everybody, even THE PRESIDENT or your God, better get use to it.

U need major handholding. Make an appointment with an Apple store and someone will patiently walk you through your brand new iPhone.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple.com is an excellent website and is very user friendly. The website has user guides for every phone and would probably answer a lot of your questions.

Impossible to give iPhone 101 over the internet.

You have not have used a cell phone or the internet but somehow you figured out how to find macrumors and start posting?

I think you are well on your way for learning the iPhone.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
In American, we make fun of everybody, even THE PRESIDENT or your God, better get use to it.

U need major handholding. Make an appointment with an Apple store and someone will patiently walk you through your brand new iPhone.

Really that is how you are going to justify how user are conducting themselves in this forum? Making fun of the president is much different than making fun of a person that is new to something, and genuinely wants to learn. I am sure if you were brand new to something, and needed help you looked just as lost as this guy does. Put yourself in their shoes every once in awhile.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
He's only just got a phone, what makes you think he even has shoes?!

And this is why I hate this forum so much, and this entitled attitude some Apple users have. Last time I check just because you have owned an iPhone for years does not make you smarter, richer, or any better than another human. It is a freaking phone for goodness sakes.

If someone needs help. Why can we not just help him without making fun, and trying to belittle someone. Sorry but this was cool to do back in middle school. I would expect better from a grown man/women.

oVerboost

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
And this is why I hate this forum so much, and this entitled attitude some Apple users have. Last time I check just because you have owned an iPhone for years does not make you smarter, richer, or any better than another human. It is a freaking phone for goodness sakes.

If someone needs help. Why can we not just help him without making fun, and trying to belittle someone. Sorry but this was cool to do back in middle school. I would expect better from a grown man/women.

Because without humour, the world would be a very dull and boring place! The OP has been told to go to Apple and they will run through his phone with him, as whoever sold the phone to him should have done (if new). There's numerous guides, videos, even stickies on this very forum that would help him and as has been mentioned he can't be that new to tech as he managed to sign up and use these forums in the first place.

To the OP - walk into any apple shop, anywhere and explain you need help learning about your phone, they'll tell you everything you need to know, and more and enjoy your new gadget.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Never touched an i phone until today...

Because without humour, the world would be a very dull and boring place! The OP has been told to go to Apple and they will run through his phone with him, as whoever sold the phone to him should have done (if new). There's numerous guides, videos, even stickies on this very forum that would help him and as has been mentioned he can't be that new to tech as he managed to sign up and use these forums in the first place.

To the OP - walk into any apple shop, anywhere and explain you need help learning about your phone, they'll tell you everything you need to know, and more and enjoy your new gadget.

Yeah that is not really humorous. Asking simple questions should be meet with help, not belittling. At some point in your life I am sure you were seeking help in something you were new to, and I don't think you wanted people making fun of you because you did not know what you were doing. Saying that he got on the website and created account should mean he knows what he is doing is stupid. He said he had used the internet before, but never a cell phone. Also for him to know he should go to a Apple store for help is ridiculous. A simple go to the Apple store could have sufficed. After someone told him to do that he understood. I don't see anywhere on here were he asked more than once after he was told about the Apple store.

You may think you were being funny, but I don't find it funny at all. Again I may have thought it was funny when I was 12, but 15 years later I have grown past making fun of people (that are seeking help) as a form of entertainment.

Last edited:

oVerboost

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I don't really care what you think tbh, it's a forum therefor freedom of speech prevails. I never said he asked more than once, I'm saying the humour from myself was posted after he had the info he needed. If it were the second post, then I can understand it to be annoying for the OP, but not after he has now found a solution to his problem. His gf has a smartphone as well, so should be able to help with an iPhone, after all it's pretty uncomplicated compared to android.

Status
Not open for further replies.