New ‘space gray’ option - practically black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joseph H, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Joseph H macrumors 6502

Find it weird how many different types of space gray Apple has had now.

After the pretty light gray on the 6 / 6s series, then moving to solid black for 7 series, we now have space gray back but it’s practically the same as the black of iPhone 7.

Unless it’s lighter than the press shots show, they may as well have called this option black again. It’s stretching it somewhat to call it gray.

Maybe it’s not quite as dark as it looks?

2. Nozuka macrumors 68020

if you are talking about the X: i still have no idea what this color actually looks like. looks different in every picture/video i have seen.

3. Joseph H thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn’t it the same for the 8 series and X?

Glass, “space gray” which is basically last year’s jet black, or a practically indistinguishable modicum lighter.

Just find it weird they didn’t just call it black. Space gray has been anything from practically silver to black now, it’s ridiculous.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---
    Quite how this constitutes “space gray” is beyond the realms of my comprehension

[​IMG]

4. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Both colors are confusing. The space gray appears black and the silver appears white. I honestly have no clue what color they really are.

5. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

I hope it's more grey than black. Suppose I'll find out on Friday. ;)

6. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

I think they are referring to the color of the aluminum/stainless. The glass is definitely white on the x/8

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was curious about this too. I wondered if the X Space Gray was more black or gray? I'm purchasing a 15" MBP-tb in Space Gray when I buy my X, I wonder of I should go Silver on the X?
    Is this a photo of the X?

8. Nozuka macrumors 68020

9. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah not sure how that can be considered space grey

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Those pictures, it looks Jet Black... Is the 8 Plus the exact same color?

11. Nozuka, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

Nozuka macrumors 68020

i feel like this new fancy hands-on room is terrible to show of the colors of the devices in videos and photos..
    or is it gray afterall? ;)

[​IMG]

12. Bmore Suspended

I was thinking the same thing. It's black

13. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

BRING BACK SLATE!!! or the 5s space gray.

but i like the space gray over the white although given the past "white/silver/gold" models with the front. glad they went all black fronts on both. the silver/white does look sleek too but i think too shinny sides.

14. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

Pretty sure the names are just marketing props at this point. The phone could be black, but space gray just sounds more appealing

15. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I don't think it's exactly like Jet Black, but I think it's closer to Jet Black than Matte Black (Black). Obviously it's a glossy finish, due to the glass material. I think it's the iPhone 4 shade of black (the actual undertone) with a hyper glossy/polished finish, that makes it look reflective like the Jet Black. I do however think the actual shade of black is less concentrated than that of the Jet Black. Something along the lines of this image here:

[​IMG]

Pure black being the new iPhone 8 and X shade, and Rich Black, being the iPhone 7 Jet Black shade.

Another reason for why I believe this is because it looks somewhat cloudy, when viewing it, which is obviously partially due to all the lighting/reflections, but I believe is also because it's not as concentrated as the Jet Black shade is.

16. TrumpWon! macrumors member

Here is the iPhone 8 plus in space gray. I'm really liking the space gray this year. Nice and black yet the apple logo and wording are very distinguishable.

17. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Space Grey is the color of the metal for both phones. Because the X is glossy steel it looks darker But there are some angles where you can tell the metal isn't black, but gray. I'm ok with this. :)

18. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

dat looks super sexy .... to my eyes its black enough :)

19. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

That dark stainless band on the X is clean

20. Nozuka, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

Nozuka macrumors 68020

and here's another one

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---

and a turnaround gif. (linking it, because the macrumors proxy seems to break it)
    https://i.imgur.com/neZXl2l.gif

21. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Horrible click.

I'm now torn because I saw silver irl for the 8 and it looks white almost, with a black front that might be more appealing then the black version, since I already currently have matte black.

I'm assuming the x in space grey aka black and silver aka white, will be mirror images of the 8 in the back except for the shift into vertical for camera.

22. DaveOP macrumors 65816

It looks black in all these photos, but it's charcoal grey in person. It's nearly impossible to get a good photo, but it's a really clean, classy color under the glass.

23. unobtainium macrumors 68020

The sides look gray to me, but black on the back (under the glass). Not sure if it’s just an illusion.

What I want to know — for owners of the Space Gray MBP, do the colors match at all?

24. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Depends on lighting. I have the SG 8+. The back, in light definitely is gray. it looks like they took the matte black version and put a layer of glass over it.. looks badass to me.