new 1.25Ghz are overclocked

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
the cache of all the g4s has always been a ratio 0f, 1:4, 1:2 or 1:1 from the clock speed of the processor. yet this 1.25Ghz seems to have not followed that rule but has the same clock ratio as the 1Ghz g4 of 1:2. makes you wonder

just my thoughts

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
more evidence that the 1.25GHz systems are overclocked. I'm willing to bet that within 3 months, someone will find out how to modify some dip switches on the mobo to overclock the 867s to 1Ghz and the 1Ghzs to 1.25Ghz.

Comment

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by topicolo
more evidence that the 1.25GHz systems are overclocked. I'm willing to bet that within 3 months, someone will find out how to modify some dip switches on the mobo to overclock the 867s to 1Ghz and the 1Ghzs to 1.25Ghz.
the 867 might get a bit too hot to run at 1.25 but the old dual 1ghz should be alright to overclock

Comment

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jayscheuerle

Actually, there was a mod a couple months ago that did bump the dual 1 to dual 1.25s, but it required a soldering iron and some serious balls.
well there u go more proof

Comment

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
A friend of mine that owns a Mac store can rise the cache to 6MB, he says it is bettern than overclocking the processor. I'm about to give him a try.

BTW, about the benchmark with the new computers, it pop up to my eyes that there is not such speed increased with the DDR memory or the system bus. It is obvious that Apple change the enclosure to be able to sell this new line of computers, very soon people are going to realize it is a bluf.

If this new line used the Qucik Silver enclousure would be a big failiour.

Comment

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by mymemory
A friend of mine that owns a Mac store can rise the cache to 6MB, he says it is bettern than overclocking the processor. I'm about to give him a try.
you might wanna cheek with your friend again and his claims, it not possible to upgrade the processor cache which is soldered onto the processor card, second of all the g4 can only handle a maximum of 4MB cache, and if you were where would you get a hold of such a rare type of cache memory.

cache memory were upgradeable in the olden days of the 60x PowerPC chips the had their cache memory on the motherboard like ram modules.

I think you friend is pulling your leg or is trying to pull a fast one on ole 'mr mymemory' himself

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
25% overclocking seems crazy, even with all this new cooling stuff. There's no way Apple would introduced a whole line that's 25% above their initially rated speed. That's too risky, don't you guys think?

Also, why would they wait 6-8 weeks if they already have these chips, and the only issue is changing the settings? To fake us out? Doesn't make any sense to me. To me, it makes more sense if this is a new chip and Apple has to wait for Moto to produce sufficient yields.

Comment

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by billiam0878
I apologize for my ignorance, but how do you overclock a processor? Thanks

Bill
sometimes its best not to know, but if you must cheek places like xlr8yourmac.com or a search on google, the way its done varies depending on what model of mac one has

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.