iPad Pro New 10.5" iPad Pro gets rid of the 3.5mm jack

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

just curious as to how you guys feel about this ?

Also recent rumors posted say it comes with an A10X CPU not an A11X guess what that means it's an Instant Nope for me.

It's a faster A10 which was on par with an A9X

2. bufffilm, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If that is true, it's just another example of Apple dropping the ball.

Couple this with few software features that are iPad-specific and you have the sad state we're in right now.

No 3.5mm jack on the iPad is less of a issue. I miss it on the iPhone.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Oh, another TheRealAlex thread. Why not and just wait and see what is announced?

4. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

??? Of course it is going to have the A10X - The A10 is what is in the iPhone 7/7 Plus.

The A11 will not debut until the next iPhone release this fall. iPads NEVER introduce a brand new SoC, just an hyper performance version of the existing silicon. That is reserved for iPhone every year.

Just like the A9 was in the iPhone 6s/6s Plus and SE, whereas the A9X was later released in the 12.9" iPad Pro, and even later in the 9.7" iPad Pro.

Same with the A8 in the iPhone 6/6 Plus, and later the A8X in the iPad Air 2 and the A8 in the iPad mini 4.

As for the headphone jack, got a link to that rumor? Seems like you been saying that for months without citing any article...

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Right...the A10x is the right chip, no way would the A11(X) debut at this early date.

My earlier post was in error.

Looks like more empty posts from the OP. Nothing new.

6. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

The A10x 10nm chip is what everyone has been looking forward too. It's more powerful and smaller than the current 16nm A9x that is used in the iPad Pro.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Honestly Im indifferent about the chip. The current one offers no shortfalls in my eyes. I always welcome an improvement, but its not like they are replacing 'bad' with 'good'; they are replacing 'great' with 'better'.

As far as the headphone jack, for me personally, it wouldnt be an issue as long as they have the same, or improved sound system the current iPad pros have. I dont use headphones too often with my iPad, so Im indifferent. Hell, if they would start to throw airpods in with the purchase of a jackless iPad im sure we would all welcome that change :D

What Im crossing my fingers for is the USB-C; at first I will hate the change because of my accessories, but in the end, I would rather apple use an industry standard instead of their proprietary interface. My suspicion is that this might be a year or two away though.

TLDR: Im indifferent about the rumored changes

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

Good riddance headphone jack!

I switched to bluetooth awhile ago, now my wife and I use AirPods 100% of the time when on the go.

For my computer, I use a USB powered DAC/AMP with my HD800s. I have my old ER4S if I want "serious" listening on the go (which I don't really feel the need to do, anymore), but even that requires a DAC/AMP...so the headphone jack has been useless for awhile, for me.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. Hopefully in two weeks we will know more. The suspense is building around this new iPad and I'm curious to see what Apple has.

10. ericwn macrumors 65816

Wonderful guesswork as usual dressed as fake fact. Will you as usual stay away from the thread you started too or is there more FUD for you to add?

11. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I'm very interested with a A10X I'd love to see two low power cores with two insanely powerful cores on a iPad that would be amazing, throw in 4Gb ram across the board and a new Gpu I'd be satisfied. The biggest thing is any "Pro" model needs 4gb of ram. The 2gb needs to die atleast on Pro iPads, now for the Air and Mini it makes since but you can't name it pro and give it 2gb of ram. Not in 2017 Apple

12. pixelements macrumors regular

pixelements

Don't care since I got the Bose bluetooth headphones :)

13. Legendts macrumors regular

Legendts

Also looking forward to the impending release and if it's pretty much as rumours suggest it will replace my aging and sloow iPad3.

14. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

There were rumours of the 10.5 Pro being slightly thicker to accommodate a suitable battery. If so, there may be less requirement to drop the headphone jack. I'm quite ambivalent either way though given it would ship with an adaptor for the rare times I did want to use wired headphones.

15. Prozak0820 macrumors 6502

Prozak0820

make room for a Taptic Engine

16. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

17. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

And go waterproof? Save accidental drops into the toilet, bath or pool?

18. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

My original iPad took a swim, then a few days in rice.

It hasn't worked the same since.

I understand. I don't like rice, either.

19. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Feel indifferent. To all the people complaining, don't buy it. The incessant whining is getting old on these forums.

20. PrettyWings macrumors regular

Really stupid change to make. Not everybody wants to use Bluetooth headphones.

21. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Hope so, no reason to keep it around. If Apple wants to get the iPad going, they need to really show the future of the device and make some major strides in software. I think that's the route they are taking with both the iPad and iPhone. Some more affordable, iterative options, and then a higher priced next gen model to driver higher margins.

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If that is a real concern for some owners, you really need to step back and think about this.

Electronics and water just didn't mix...no IP rating will cover that (by any manufacturer).

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Was not too long ago everyone cried at just the rumor of an iPhone with a screen larger than 4".

This, too, will pass. There are adapter that will allow anyone to use their wired headsets

24. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Waterproofing ratings for electronics is very stiff in the U.S. and even watches are prohibited by the Federal trade commission in the U.S. A water proof iPad will never happen, even if you believe it to be. The article listed below explains why on various levels.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/water-dust-resistance-ratings-in-gadgets-explained/

25. PrettyWings macrumors regular

Or I will just not give them my money ;)