New 13" C2D or Refurb 15" i5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimharris99, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jimharris99 macrumors newbie

- Microcenter has new 13" C2D's for $999, pickup in store.

- Refurb store on Apple's website has a 15" i5 for about $1550.

I probably already know the answer to my question, but just curious what you all think.

Would like to get a new laptop for my girlfriend. She won't likely be doing much more than email, internet, lots of music and photos, work from home as necessary, and watching movies while in plane/car trips. I have a 24" iMac that I use to mess around with iMovie and play TF2 and CS: Source on, so the likelihood that we'd use the laptop for those things is small.

Anyway, $600 is a great deal of money, so I guess the question is, is it really worth it long term to invest a little extra in the 15", or will something new be released before that "long term" anyway, and the extra $$ isn't worth it because I can use that $600 savings and apply for another laptop in 3 years?

Like I said, probably answering my own question (leaning towards the 13" from microcenter), but just thought I'd ask. Looking to buy earlier September timeframe (guesses on hardware updates in the fall?)

And then buy applecare from Amazon?

Thanks!!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If that's all that you plan to use it for, go for the 13" and save the money.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. SidBala macrumors 6502a

5. jimharris99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Normally I would go refurb, but Microcenter has a brand new 13" 2.4ghz for $999.....that equivalent refurb on Apple's website is $1019. Kind of weird. Microcenter know something and that's why they're priced so low is to get rid of stock?

6. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Most certainly not. For grand opening a MediaMarkt (Germany) sold the 13" MBP 2.26 for 888€ what is 250€ less than usually, 7month before they were updated.

7. MacSignal macrumors regular

The new 15 with the i5 is nice, but the 13 is also nice. I have lived with both for a couple of weeks. I like the 13 for its better battery life, smaller size, and how little it gives away to the more expensive models while doing the kind of tasks that you describe.

The $600 you save will go further on your next laptop purchase.

8. jimharris99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think it would be worth it to explore the refurb store for a upgraded 13" MBP C2D? The microcenter one is $999, but the lowest version. No screen upgrade, 2.4ghz, 4GB. The refurb store has some with the next chip up. Not sure if we'll really notice the difference though.

Is it quite noticable too with the greater real estate on the 15" screen vs. the 13"?

Thanks again for the comments.