New 13 Inch MacBook Pro On The Way. Which LG Monitor?

Paulg2uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Hi guys,

I have a new 2018 13 inch RMBP on the way finally after 6 years of not upgrading. I have a mid 2012 RMBP 15 inch which is still going strong but is now showing its' age so it's about time I upgraded.

I just had a question regarding 2 LG monitors I might want to upgrade to. I have the Apple 24" Cinema Display at the moment but I'm donating it to my work along a with the 15 inch RMBP. I'll still be using it as my work needs and extra Mac for basic tasks etc.

The 2 monitors I have my eye are on are the UD88 and the UK850. I've been told the UD88 has been discontinued but there is some stock floating about on amazon over here in the UK. It's not any cheaper though, in fact it cost more than the 850.

Is there any major differences between the 850 and the 88? Would you guys suggest one over the other? I won't be doing anything major graphics wise. I'd be using Logic Pro X which is probably the most I'd use my new Mac and display for. Maybe the odd game but that's it really.

Many thanks

Paul

F-Train

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Both of those monitors cost a lot more than you need to spend if you're only using them for Logic, an application that I use myself.

Nothing wrong with buying them, but either admit that you just want a snazzy monitor or come up with a better excuse. More emphasis on games and less on Logic might help you get there :)

Surf760

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
I have both an HP 27" 4k Envy and the Asus 27" MX27UC. One is at my home office to be plugged into my laptop and the other (HP) is connected to my 27" iMac at my work office. For the price/quality, I'm a big fan of the HP. The internal speakers drew me to the ASUS but since you can't control the volume without using the monitor controls, I just use the speakers built into the laptop.

I know you're asking about LGs, but there are a lot of good alternatives out there unless you have to have 5k. Reality is you'll probably scale everything to 1440p anyhow unless you have microscopes for eyes.

Wallace

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2003
Michigan
I have both an HP 27" 4k Envy and the Asus 27" MX27UC. One is at my home office to be plugged into my laptop and the other (HP) is connected to my 27" iMac at my work office. For the price/quality, I'm a big fan of the HP. The internal speakers drew me to the ASUS but since you can't control the volume without using the monitor controls, I just use the speakers built into the laptop.

I know you're asking about LGs, but there are a lot of good alternatives out there unless you have to have 5k. Reality is you'll probably scale everything to 1440p anyhow unless you have microscopes for eyes.
Do you have issues with waking-up the HP Envy 27? My MacBook Pro 13 is connected to the display via USB-C and I have the Apple Magic Keyboard. When the MacBook Pro lid is closed and I click on the keyboard the display doesn't wake up on occasion. Reconnect the USB-C cable or open/close lid is the only remedy.

Thoughts?

Surf760

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
Do you have issues with waking-up the HP Envy 27? My MacBook Pro 13 is connected to the display via USB-C and I have the Apple Magic Keyboard. When the MacBook Pro lid is closed and I click on the keyboard the display doesn't wake up on occasion. Reconnect the USB-C cable or open/close lid is the only remedy.

Thoughts?
Yes, I have had some issues with that but I've always attributed the problem to the display not playing well with the cable. That's one part of USB-C that I'm looking forward to getting resolved as an issue. I too unplug the cable and plug it back in and everything is fine.